Should I get one?

Aplogies for the Huge Essay!

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if you can help?

I currently own a MKV R32 which I love but don't find very exciting to drive.
Don't get me wrong it's a very quick an capable car but it does everything a little too well.
You can pin it round corners and round abouts and it'll stick to the road like **** to a blanket but it does it very clincally with very little drama.
The 4x4 system and DSG box (even using paddles) seems to do everything for you, leaving you feeling a bit detached from the driving experience.

I've put 19" wheels from the MKVI Golf R and a set of Sachs coilovers on it which do make the car feel planted but teamed with a heavy front end as soon as the road gets bumpy the ride becomes very hard and crashy. If I hit a pothore it sounds as though the car has been struck by lightening!
I find myself swerving all over the place like a drink driver trying to avoid all the uneven surfaces!
Most sensible people would put the factory suspension and 18's back on but, sad as it may sound then I'd be unhappy with the look of the car and that would start to irritate me!
I also miss working a manual gearbox so much so I had a great time ragging my bird's 3pot Polo the other day!

So this brings me onto the big question...... Should I buy a 200 Cup?

I've had a go in a mate's (Aemskelley on here) 197 with the cup chassis and did enjoy it. It's so urgent and fun, I had a little smirk on my face the whole time I was driving it! The ride was perfect for the roads around me. It seems to irons out all the creases and stay stuck to the tarmac.
So this prompted me to take a 200 Cup out. Off down to Renault I went and took their 200 Cup for a blast.
I was prepared for the lack of A/C and plastic dash board and to be honest it didn't really bother me. I'm not sure if it would bother me on a day to day bassis though?
The first thing I noticed was how much heavier the steering was which is a plus point in my book and how as soon as I got on the bumpy stuff, the ride felt much stiffer and planted but not crashy.
At first it felt a bit too bouncy but as soon as I started to press on it felt controlled and purposeful.
I did a few round abouts and car just felt alive and responded to every input I made.

If I were to buy one I would look for a second hand one as the dealer wanted almost 13k for this one that had 17k on the clock, which I felt was a bit steep!

So should I get rid of the R32 and buy one?

They are fun and a riot to drive but does this get tiresome on a day to day basis with the car being so focused?
Are they reliable?
Any common problems?
Does the build quality last or do they start rattling and banging after a while?

I'm just not sure what it'd be like to step out of a Golf and into a Clio? (please don't take the the wrong way)

Anyway, sorry for the novel I just wrote. I need to be sure because as you know, buying and selling a car is a big step so I don't want to regret anything.

All thoughs and opinions welcome! :thumbup1:

By the sounds of it, a Clio would be perfect for you. But, what I will say is get the FF if you are used to the luxuries of the R32, you will miss them after time I would guess.

Also, we had a member on here who bought a 200 after his R32 and within 6 months p/x'd for another R32. Now the reasons he gave was due to missing the v6 noise and lack of lower down torque, so bare that in mind. Having said that, there are so many people on here that come from all kinds of cars and are mostly outstanded by the handling these cars give.

They are great fun. They need to be revved and worked to get the best out of them, which is (at a guess) very different to your Golf.

I say get one. The running costs won't bother you after the Golf and they are turning out to be pretty reliable too. Build quality is generally ok as well.

Cheers for the warm welcome guys! :smile:

Yeah, I have thought about an FF but I can't seem to find a good one with a cup chassis and recaros.

Re. torque, that is one thing I forgot to mention. The R32 does have a meaty low end which is useful in some situations and I probably would miss this.
I had an Ep3 Type R before so I'm used to a revy engine, just takes a bit to acclimatise to and a bit of forward thinking when on the road.

Again, all comments appreciated! :thumbsup:

The cup chassis seems to be a common option on the 200, so I would say either they are being advertised as not having them but have or just wait and one will come up. The way to tell instantly is that the cup chassis comes with red Brembo calipers and the normal FF comes with silver/grey. The low down torque is apparently better on the 200s than the 197s which is what I have got. But I'm sure a remap would be able to improve things slightly.

The cup chassis seems to be a common option on the 200, so I would say either they are being advertised as not having them but have or just wait and one will come up. The way to tell instantly is that the cup chassis comes with red Brembo calipers and the normal FF comes with silver/grey. The low down torque is apparently better on the 200s than the 197s which is what I have got. But I'm sure a remap would be able to improve things slightly.

Yeah, I had a big chat with a good bloke at Ktec yesterday discuss mods etc and trying to get him to make my mind up for me :tongueout: .
We were talking about exhausts, CAI and maps, which are probably the first things I'd do if I got one.

Doesn't the cup have a faster rack then a FF Cup though? Even though it's a minimal detail, that's the sort of thing that gets me excited! :smile:

DO IT, brilliant cars, ive recently bought one. You can get a FF 200 with the cup chassis and recaros through a private dealer for a good price...

I'll probably get slated, but - have you thought about an r26.....
Would be a little closer to what you are used to, easier to live with day to day, but doesn't quite have the fun factor of the Clio......
Or go for a 197, leave yourself spare cash ready for upgrades. Also, they are better looking than the 200s
:eek:

I'll probably get slated, but - have you thought about an r26.....
Would be a little closer to what you are used to, easier to live with day to day, but doesn't quite have the fun factor of the Clio......
Or go for a 197, leave yourself spare cash ready for upgrades. Also, they are better looking than the 200s
:eek:

Yeah, I have looked at them but am most tempted by the Clio, purely for the fun factor.
I don't mind basic interiors at all really, the R32's is very nice but I've only had the car 9 months so haven't taken it for granted yet. :thumbup1:

If you are tempted by the fun factor, there is only one choice. I traded up to the r26
As a m/c you can't touch it

But

Forget anything else 197 is the car if you are a driver
200 is a lookalike, 1#2 wS the warm up
There's another kicking for me!

How brave are you?
No matter what u pick, for the £s the frogs are the best IF it starts with RS

If you are tempted by the fun factor, there is only one choice. I traded up to the r26
As a m/c you can't touch it

But

Forget anything else 197 is the car if you are a driver
200 is a lookalike, 1#2 wS the warm up
There's another kicking for me!

How brave are you?
No matter what u pick, for the £s the frogs are the best IF it starts with RS

m/c??? motorway cruiser?

So 197 and 200 are pretty much the same then? 200 just a bit sharper?

Sorry, tech term m/c = machine

Buy woodys if you are brave enough, Its a real drivers car if you are man enough