Setting up for track help?

MattP

Paid Member
Hi all

been enjoying my kw v3 for a couple of years now in a nice road set up

got Bedford in a couple weeks and wondered what was the best thing to do on the day?

Leave the car as it is.
Monitor tyre pressures throughout the day, and make sure you're not rolling over the sidewall.

Reactions: LiamP
Clios generally understeer slightly as a default. As a first trackday that’s ideal as it’s easier to catch. Stiffening up the rear damping may encourage the back end to become more playful but it really depends on loads of factors relevant to your specific car.
Tyre pressures are key and having fun. Enjoy

Thanks guys - do always keep a good eye on tyre pressures.

This will be my 10th track outing in the Clio so starting to get a good feel for how it is on the road set up.
Talking to a Clio owner at Brands last Nov he was suggesting I firm the rear up quite significantly to allow the rear to break easier and follow the front round.

I also figured you need a lot less rebound on track as it’s so smooth?

is there a idiots guide to how FWD suspension should be set up for track?

Thanks guys - do always keep a good eye on tyre pressures.

This will be my 10th track outing in the Clio so starting to get a good feel for how it is on the road set up.
Talking to a Clio owner at Brands last Nov he was suggesting I firm the rear up quite significantly to allow the rear to break easier and follow the front round.

I also figured you need a lot less rebound on track as it’s so smooth?

is there a idiots guide to how FWD suspension should be set up for track?

There will be a basic set up, however it really is driver, tyre, track, and weather depended.

Driver. Some people like the back to be really loose and skipping all over the place. Allow it to brake away and almost float. Giving you the greater turn in, this and will give some over steer and tripoding.

Tyres. You have to take into consideration if you are on fast road tyres, semi slicks or slicks. Even brand.

Track. Some tracks are as you say smooth, however Bedford is quite abrasive for a track.

Weather. Wet and dry and we all know is like night and day also set up will be as well.

Unless your chasing 10th of a second I would have a base line setting done at someone that knows what they are doing like Northampton Motorsports, along with corner weighting.

If the track day is open pit lane and hours long - run a bunch of laps as the car is today, monitor tire pressures and only after you feel like you found the limits, start messing with the setup.

Rule of thumbs are:
- stiffening compression reduces grip on that axle
- conversely, softening compression increases grip on the axle
- changing rebound effects how the car transitions
- Dropping hot tire pressure increases grip a bit, but make sure you dont go too low where you roll the tire over to the sidewall (bad)

It’s all preference really. But since making the rest of my car massively stiff it’s made it a lot more ‘interesting’ to drive.
Before you had to be doing something very stupid to get the arse out. But now it’s straight round..... tis fun though.
Not entirely sure it’s the fastest way round a track though.

As far as geometry goes, you won’t go far wrong with about 20-40 minutes of toe out on the front, the same but toe in on the rear. I’d say aim for 2.5 degrees of camber on the front, and maybe 1.5 rear.

I like to run my coilovers very stiff on the front and quite soft on the rear.