Rusty front sub frame!!!

Just got under the Clio for the first time since buying it, only to discover the front subframe is falling to bits!

Attachments

• 20180319_163106.jpg
    20180319_163106.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 199
im no metal expert but that looks like paint and none of the metal looks to be breaking or has holes. some sandpaper and fresh paint should put that right.

Mine is beyond repair so looking for a used one that I can refurb! Called Renault and a replacement is around £250

Luckily I spoke to the place I got it from today, sent some pictures. They've agreed to sort it out as I've knkynhad it 4 weeks!

Jesus, it’s a good job you took a look under there when you did! Good work on getting them to sort it, hopefully it’ll be rust free again soon!

Radiator support is easy to change diy. Mine was also rusty, but little bit of welding and sandblasting..
If you buy new or second hand, paint or protect it. I think protection from factory was poor.

Last edited:
Radiator support is easy to change diy. Mine was also rusty, but little bit of welding and sandblasting..
If you buy new or second hand, paint or protect it. I think protection from factory was poor.
How long did it take you to remove? what was required?
Mine is looking crappy too and could do with a refurb

How long did it take you to remove? what was required?
Mine is looking crappy too and could do with a refurb

Hello

I try to remember how it was.

1. Lift car up , put jack stands, so car is in nice balance and you have enough room to work under car.
2. Remove undertray
3. Remove inner wings
4. Remove front bumper (see how-to section).
5. Support radiator that it would not drop down when you remove radiator support.
6. Remove bolts from front of the support and side.

If i remember correctly now you can remove this radiator support.

Here is picture how i supported my radiator before i drop the radiator support bar

big.jpg

And here is picture, see bolts

big.jpg

big.jpg

Reactions: Andyyox and ZaShark
Hello

1. Lift car up , put jack stands, so car is in nice balance and you have enough room to work under car.
2. Remove undertray
3. Remove inner wings
5. Support radiator that it would not drop down when you remove radiator support.

Here is picture how i supported my radiator before i drop the radiator support bar

View attachment 123994

View attachment 123995

View attachment 123996
Cheers for the great reply. Was under the car yesterday and noticed it was in a state so its a job on the list too do. Just cleaned it up and waxoyl for now

This could be worthwhile contacting your local dealer about under the 12 year Anti Perforation warranty. It wouldn’t be the first time a Clio 3 front subframe has been replaced under the Anti Perforation warranty - doesn’t matter if it’s Renaultsport or not it happens on them!

Just got under the Clio for the first time since buying it, only to discover the front subframe is falling to bits!
Hi

Think mine is in the same boat on a quick look, so what did you go for in the end if you got it sorted? i swear i read some where its is the same on any mk3 clio? is there any truth in this if any body knows that can confirm?

Hello

2. Remove undertray
3. Remove inner wings

View attachment 123994

View attachment 123995

View attachment 123996

Wow nice write up and info! thanks worse case i can eventually get on to something like this, if only you were closer id borrow you mine to help out on :smile: nice work bud :thumb:

@zashark
See my post from 19 march (top of this thread).
You can remove that radiator support bar, and get it sandblasted and then paint it.
It is not subframe, and this rusty part job is keep radiator in place.

Btw. New part from renault is approx 200£, but remember do rust protection carefully before installing.

Yes that's true but a straight flat plate can do that job the big problem I have is that it's part of the crumple zone in an accident and for it to rust and weaken the way it does and at that speed my car had a new one 3 years ago and the rust is there already at it's behind plastic bumper covers Renault should be pulled and forced to do something at the minimum have a better painted part to replace it with.

Reactions: ZaShark
Yes that's true but a straight flat plate can do that job the big problem I have is that it's part of the crumple zone in an accident and for it to rust and weaken the way it does and at that speed my car had a new one 3 years ago and the rust is there already at it's behind plastic bumper covers Renault should be pulled and forced to do something at the minimum have a better painted part to replace it with.
Do you think it's worth powder coating or painting a replacement before fitting it?

Reactions: ZaShark
Mines pretty bad....

Seems common . I'd recommend decent paint or powder and then waxoil or similar on your replacement !

Attachments

• bffa4a34ae1bce726cc0e6e3087bcfda.0.jpg
    bffa4a34ae1bce726cc0e6e3087bcfda.0.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 68
  • c366d925a4279df66a93d59c7a80daa2.0.jpg
    c366d925a4279df66a93d59c7a80daa2.0.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 63
  • e6d4655b786d7b3b37b23d414cf728e2.0.jpg
    e6d4655b786d7b3b37b23d414cf728e2.0.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 66
Well £200 and starts to rust inside 3 years, steering wheels that melt clearly not fit for purpose but as owners we get tired of fighting with Renault so it comes in like an undercoat finish but must be unpainted inside hence the rust so yea some kind of paint on the outside and wax oil inside the layers.