Rough running, sounds like misfire but no lights or codes? - FIXED

So I parked my rs200 up after coming home from work and the car was running as normal, went to drive somewhere a few hours later and the car is running terribly. It sounds like its struggling to tick over and sounds like a misfire (almost like a subaru), have unplugged the coils one by one and each one made it even worse. There is reduced power, when I put my foot down its doesn't even go anywhere just pops and bangs. It pops on idle and I'm not talking quiet little pops I'm talking loud ones. The exhaust stinks as well. I've plugged a code reader in and got no codes back, there is also no warning light on dash. I don't understand how it can be fine one minute and then shit the next.

Anyone got any ideas or things to check?
Cheers

Did it not become apparent that removal of one coil made little difference?

I'm not too sure what things typically go wrong with these cars yet, but immediate thoughts would be something like timing is off which could be a crank angle sensor (although I would expect a fault for this) or otherwise mechanical timing out and retarded as a result, or lost compression. Have you had any recent work done, or rather what was the most recent work you've had done?

Could be worth doing a compression test for sanity?

Wish I had more suggestions, but maybe someone else can jump in with something more useful. Deffo reply back here if you figure it out.

Check the plugs I recently fixed a 197 poor running no error codes the plugs had heavy flashover on the hex base of the plug it turned out two coil packs were faulty they don't bring up a fault light or code also check the plug holes for water, dirt and oil the plug needs a good clean surface to earth. But if your cleaning the plug holes out make sure you don't push the dirt into the cylinder.

Reactions: Foxspeed
Check the plugs I recently fixed a 197 poor running no error codes the plugs had heavy flashover on the hex base of the plug it turned out two coil packs were faulty they don't bring up a fault light or code also check the plug holes for water, dirt and oil the plug needs a good clean surface to earth. But if your cleaning the plug holes out make sure you don't push the dirt into the cylinder.

do this first...if once out they look fine do a compression test as could be a valve if its popping down the exhaust

So after checking loads of stuff and replacing an oxygen sensor, I finally managed to figure out what was causing this. Cylinder number 2 was filling with water coming from a split washer jet hose directly above it. Sorted the hose and took the plugs out, cleaned them, re-installed and now running perfectly.

Reactions: Sibbers
Good to find out how something was fixed I would always check the plug holes after a service if someone else has done the work the genuine elf oil jar is hard to pour from and I still don't use a funnel and they put it down the nearest spark plug hole even if they clean up everything else. Anyway why not add "FIXED" to the title if you can so people can cut straight to it with the same problem.

Reactions: Foxspeed