Ross's LY 200 Adventure

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by RossWoods93, Mar 20, 2018.

1. RossWoods93

RossWoods93 Platinum Member

Car:
    LY Clio RS 200
    So after 2 years of membership, I'm finally getting round to starting some form of progress thread (something I've been saying I'll do for about 1 year 11 months)

I'll hope to not bore you too much with a life story, and try and overview the last few years of ownership in this post!

I bought the car in June 2015, and to be honest it didn't tick many of my boxes! I wanted a White 200 Cup, with the lovely red Brembo calipers, and super comfy Recaros... so I did a great job at having neither of these! I travelled 2 hours to Holdcroft Renault Crewe for a test drive, after seeing a 2012 LY 200 pop up on AutoTrader, with only 8,000 on the clock! As soon as I'd been in the car 5 minutes, I just thought to myself 'I need to have this car!' It was such a buzz compared to my 1.2 MK3 Clio I'd been in for the previous 4 years! I picked it up two weeks later, which was painfully long!

IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3816.JPG
    What I Love:
    -
    The colour: It took a while this one, but I soon learned to admire it! The girlfriend isn't a fan (an instant 'Why have you bought a yellow car...' upon seeing a photo) but she's had to accept that!

- Handling: I don't have much to compare it against, but it this car handles fantastically well, especially on the twist stuff! Would love to see how it compares to a Cup though, I can imagine you can be even more aggressive into the corners!

- Visuals: When I first saw one when I started driving, I just thought what a great looking car! Twin exit exhaust, a mean rear diffuser, side vents, it just looks awesome. It's very rare you see another 197/200/200T on a day to day basis, and that really appealed to me, I wanted something different!

What I Dislike:
    - Interior: I knew what to expect, after owning my previous Clio, yes it will rattle and will have a slight cheap feel, but there's nothing quite like holding against the plastic trim while driving along to try and locate them rattles.... I wouldn't have it any other way its part of the ownership!

- Steering Wheel: Obviously this is something that can be corrected, but I couldn't believe quickly the wheel just peeled away and disintegrated. It does however provide a time gap between red lights picking away at it! I have a spare wheel which will be put on when this gets really bad!

Problems:
    - Coolant leak: The first problem I suffered with was I had a period of losing coolant, took it into Renault for some diagnostics and found that the thermostat housing had cracked. Replaced it out, all sorted! So not a biggy.

- Split Flexi's on manifold: Woke up one morning to my car sounding like a tractor, which drew quite alot of attention driving through town. I queried Renault on the repair, and they were quoting crazy prices (changing out the whole manifold). With my dad being involved in agriculture engineering and some colleagues handy with spanners, they decided to tackle it themselves, removing the manifold and welding in new flexi's, of which they did a great job. (Albeit taking 3 weeks and having to attend the Christmas meal in a Renault Kangoo!!)

IMG_0266.JPEG
    IMG_0267.JPEG

- Temporarily lost reverse and 5th: I had the big belt change done last week at the main dealership (Car now on 58,000), and after picking the car up I found that 5th gear was stiff (but reverse ok at this point). Drove to work the next day and found 5th still horrible to get in, pulled up in my communal driveway, and as I went to reverse into the bay, couldn't find reverse! Non-existent! Not only that but I was blocking an ambulance from getting out. Sent the car back to Renault, who took the battery/airbox/engine mounts back off and back on, of which it now runs a dream again!

Touch wood this list won't progress :wink:

Modifications:

-
    Powerflex Top mount / KTEC gearbox-engine-lowerstabiler mounts: More of a preventative measure for the flexi's in hope they don't crack again! But would recommend the mounts. Yes they do cause some added vibrations but it seems to tighten the car right up, and seemed to be putting the power down better (could just be psychological!)

Otherwise completely standard!

To do list:

- Refurb the wheels - I don't have the pretty wheels in the world, they're a bit scuffed and could really do with some TLC. I bought a set of alloys for a bargain off eBay (big thanks to @Benno for collecting these and organising a courier!) So the plan will be to get this set refurbed, maybe get them done in black (undecided!)

IMG_2299[1].PNG

- Paintwork Bodywork TLC: At least a year ago I had someone slightly clip the rear arch line, of which creased the arch line! A depressing day, but nothing too obvious. Dent devils etc didn't want to tackle it (think the colour put them off or the location of it!) but it's something that always bugs me! I'm off to America next month, so my cousin who loves detailing as a hobby will be tackling a few stonechips with a chipex kit I bought.

Other than that I'm happy with the car, I've just had the big service, and it's now running a dream! Every drive puts a smile on my face.

Hope you haven't all fallen asleep by this point, and thanks for reading!

I'll finish off with a few photos:

IMG_9666[1].JPG IMG_E8389[1].JPG

Attached Files:

Benno, LOCKE, Foxspeed and 7 others like this.

2. adam thomas

adam thomas Gold Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    not boring at all ! lovely car

RossWoods93 likes this.
  3. lee.p.wood

lee.p.wood Gold Member

Car:
    clio 200
    Lovely car great read

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RossWoods93 likes this.
  4. Big Ben

Big Ben Winner - POTM February 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    Cracking car. Enjoyed your intro...

5. Beany

Beany Platinum Member

Car:
    RB 200 cup
    About time..... lovely car

6. Micah

Micah Clumsy McButterfingers Moderator

Car:
    Clio 220 Trophy
    Exactly this, but glad to see you've finally done this!
    You haven't had the best of luck lately, but glad she's all sorted for the spring and summer months, will be an absolute treat for you :smile:

RossWoods93 and Beany like this.
  7. RossWoods93

Car:
    LY Clio RS 200
    Thanks for all the great comments! Certainly about time I managed to organise a thread!

I absolutely love this car though, despite the niggles and expenses here and there, and hopefully that’ll show through as the thread progresses!

Beany likes this.
  8. ///M

///M Gold Member

Car:
    R27, ///M CS, Exige V6
    Nice progress thread intro Ross. Always love a bit of back story.

And OMG LY is one of the best colours on ANY car... EVER. You made the right choice there!

9. Johnny 99

Johnny 99 Winner - POTM October 2018 Platinum Member

Car:
    Clio Renaultsport 200
    Good to see this progress thread started! I agree with Mes (@///M) that LY is one of the best colours on any car ever.

RossWoods93 and ///M like this.
  10. jamesgw200

jamesgw200

Car:
    Megane 275 Trophy
    about bloody time :good: next stop. Snetterton

11. Beany

Beany Platinum Member

Car:
    RB 200 cup
    197.net trip to snetterton?

Benno and jamesgw200 like this.
  12. jamesgw200

jamesgw200

Car:
    Megane 275 Trophy
    Its happening for sure. Great circuit. Great viewing. Great cafe!

Big Ben and Beany like this.
  13. Beany

Beany Platinum Member

Car:
    RB 200 cup
    I’ll stop spamming ross’ thread but I’ll be up for that

Big Ben likes this.
  14. Big Ben

Big Ben Winner - POTM February 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    That’s a good idea:grinning:

Beany likes this.
  15. RossWoods93

Car:
    LY Clio RS 200
    Thanks Mes, certainly wasn’t not having the other half put me off! Will be living with the other half in the not too distant future and I’ll be certain to make sure it’ll still be sat on the drive shining away!

@jamesgw200 @Beany more than happy to come for a watch/passenger ride at Snetty! Still not got the heart (and probably balls) to track her yet!

///M and Beany like this.
  16. Beany

Beany Platinum Member

Car:
    RB 200 cup
    Listen Ross my pearls are smaller than a knats but it’s where the Clio is home on track... it’ll be a good

RossWoods93 likes this.
  17. jamesgw200

jamesgw200

Car:
    Megane 275 Trophy
    well as we're on the subject. I have a really small willy :poke:

Beany likes this.
  18. M19TNR

M19TNR Gold Member

Car:
    RS200t
    I love it mate!

My mrs is exactly the same with LY, I don’t know how they can’t see it?! One of the best colours around!

19. RossWoods93

Car:
    LY Clio RS 200
    Needless to mention the moaning and questioning of “why are you parking so far away?” Because I don’t want someone running into it ideally!

I love LY, It looks mega to me, but the paranoia of scratching/denting the bodywork makes it hard to live with almost! Saying that I’ve seen some examples of people working wonders on repairing LY!

20. RossWoods93

Car:
    LY Clio RS 200
    Didn’t take long for my thread to turn sexual really, barely made it off the first page! only knows the other kind of forums you’re signed up to James!

Micah and Beany like this.