RIP Youtube.

///M

Gold Member
Well it's been fun, and I've enjoyed every minute of being marketed at but it looks like we're all going to have to pay for it now.

One of the worst things about the modern world for me is the way big corporations are being sneaky about getting more and more of our hard earned from us. Google is one of the worst. If your "play in background" hasn't gone yet, it will very soon. And then you have to pay. This is just the start.

Evil money grabbing tw@s. Haven't they got enough? Silly question...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...wly-kill-off-youtube-background-play.2043359/

LIVID.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
I actually didn't know background play was possible through safari, but it really bugged me that it wasn't possible through the YouTube app. I got sick of it and after a bit of research I found an app called ProTube which is most likely the best 3rd party YouTube app out there. It was a gamble at £3.99 as there weren't many reviews for it, but it is well worth the money. All your playlists are visible after logging in and you can choose the default playback quality for both wifi and cellular playback.

This probably sounds like a cheesy message from one of those spambots trying to sell you something but it's really not! :smile: I'd rather my money go to someone who tries to make a living from programming than one of these large corporations. If enough people stuck their fingers up i'm sure YouTube would succumb to their demands.

I actually didn't know background play was possible through safari, but it really bugged me that it wasn't possible through the YouTube app. I got sick of it and after a bit of research I found an app called ProTube which is most likely the best 3rd party YouTube app out there. It was a gamble at £3.99 as there weren't many reviews for it, but it is well worth the money. All your playlists are visible after logging in and you can choose the default playback quality for both wifi and cellular playback.

This probably sounds like a cheesy message from one of those spambots trying to sell you something but it's really not! :smile: I'd rather my money go to someone who tries to make a living from programming than one of these large corporations. If enough people stuck their fingers up i'm sure YouTube would succumb to their demands.

No need for the disclaimer Davinder mate, I know you know your stuff!

That's very interesting. I should have a look at it.

And I couldn't agree more about people making a stand. It's just that no one does. We're all just sheep being ushered in a direction we have no choice in and paying for the privilege!

Reactions: Siliconsteve
I've never used YouTube and doesn't sound like I will be in the future if they want my money!!

That's me taking a stand?:excited:

I've never used YouTube and doesn't sound like I will be in the future if they want my money!!

That's me taking a stand?:excited:

You've NEVER used YouTube? Mate I'm beyond impressed. Massive respect to you Ben!

I might need to edit that post @///M
My son says if I've watched a video posted on this site it's likely come from YouTube:oops:

Does that count lol

Interesting, I didn't know this 'play in background' was a 'thing'. Although to be fair I don't much use YT on my phone. Apologies if this is a daft question, but am I right in thinking that this doesn't affect just regular watching of YT videos, i.e. on phone or laptop??

Agree with you though that it's all about greed with these big companies - they'll always find a way to get money out of you. I understand that they are businesses who exist to make money, however surely YouTube make an absolute packet off advertising already!

All it seems to do is drive more people to find a way around these payment options - i.e. the YouTube apps mentioned above, and also look at the popularity of Kodi: TV providers (Sky, Virgin mainly) charge such a massive amount of money for their packages that people are sick of it and look elsewhere. I realise that Kodi has a negative impact on the revenue that programme and film-makers get, but when the providers charge extortionate amounts of money to watch, then I can see why people do it. And, you still have to sit through adverts, despite paying a premium!!

Reactions: Pav
same question as Jimmy..will I have to pay just to be viewer or only when I want to post a video??

@Big Ben no mate, I think it's still bloody awesome!

@Jimmy @Pav guys, the pertinent point here is that this was a feature youtube used to offer. Now you need to pay for it. It might not be something you use, but something you do use won't be far down the line before it goes behind the paywall. Video editing features will be next I reckon. Then playlists and stuff.

Plus what really makes me so livid is that it was done in such a sneaky fashion. It's happened over a series of weeks so that people didn't see a big backlash of irate users pointing out what was happening. Bit by bit we're going to be systematically forced into paying for youtube, and I bet it will still be full of adverts.

But no one cares. It will just be a completely insignificant amount of money to begin with. But it means that these huge companies will suddenly be getting BILLIONS more of our hard earned. In the case of google specifically, a company who owes enough tax in this country to make a significant difference to the whole nation...

Beginning of the end.

Everyone should use Vimeo or Daily Motion from now on!

Reactions: Jimmy and Pav
Thanks for clarifying Mes, and I totally see your point - the tip of the iceberg, as it were. Very sad times indeed and I see the frustration, especially with the way YT/Google are going about it; I read the post on the link you provided. Sneaky indeed.

It's all about the bottom line these days - these big corporations are run by the fattest of all the cats, and it's the people that made them fat that they in turn s**t on.

Reactions: ///M
All these millionaire youtubers are worrying now the add boycott is going on... They might have to get a real job!

But YouTube got to claw back some money some way, and appears this is going to be the first of many things like this we see!

All these millionaire youtubers are worrying now the add boycott is going on... They might have to get a real job!

But YouTube got to claw back some money some way, and appears this is going to be the first of many things like this we see!

That's really tickled me mate. I'm imagining that knob Schmee working in telesales and starting every call with "Hi guys I'm Schmee..."

That's really tickled me mate. I'm imagining that knob Schmee working in telesales and starting every call with "Hi guys I'm Schmee..."

That guy has such an awesome life - buying a super car every 6 months, and going on tours with them....

That guy has such an awesome life - buying a super car every 6 months, and going on tours with them....

...and is a complete tit and hasn't got a clue how to drive or what the hell he's talking about! :smiley:

...and is a complete tit and hasn't got a clue how to drive or what the hell he's talking about! :smiley:

Very true lol!

What gets me is how he affords to do it.. I mean he only has 900k subscribers, even the most subscribed to guys don't have a fleet of cars like that...

Very true lol!

What gets me is how he affords to do it.. I mean he only has 900k subscribers, even the most subscribed to guys don't have a fleet of cars like that...

Mummy and daddy's money. And he doesn't own them, they're just borrowed.

Think supercars of london is on a similar sort of level... Guy does my head in.

Yep. And Mr JWW, and Seb Delaney, and all the rest of them. Just so much self love. You know they all spend their spare time watching their own channel while cracking one off.