Replacing Handbrake Cables

fezza555

Paid Member
Following an MOT it was advised that I would need new handbrake cables, I have brought both LH and RH. Can anyone tell me if the exhaust heat shield needs to be removed? How tricky is the job and is there anything specific I will need to do this. All advice welcome! :smile:

Easy enough job mate...

There's four screws to undo inside the car, lift up the plastic trim and slacken the handbrake cable off using a 10mm socket, if the cable doesn't release from the mechanism just give the socket a tap with a hammer.

Unclip the inner cables from the yolk and then unclip the outers from the body, tie some string the the inner cables so you can guide the new cables in without getting under the car etc.

Jack the car up and whip the wheels off, unclip the inner cable from the calipers. Use a 13mm spanner to actuate the brake if needs be, then use brute force to get the outer cables free.

You can reach under the car and unclip the rest of the cable, pull it out and tie the new cables to the string then guide them up into the car, clip them back in and adjust as required. :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: fezza555
No worries mate, you might wanna lay the new hand brake cables out and pull the inners tight to check they have the same length of inner cable sticking out. I got some really cheap TELCO ones from GSF which were £11 each at one time and one was longer by 10mm causing it to pull on one brake on before the other. :think: