Replacement Key Card

I have had a good read around on here but cannot find an answer.

If i purchase a used key card from eBay, can I just get it recoded from Renault?
Does anyone else code them? (Is it DIY-able?)
What sort of money is this service?

I don't need it but I want a second one in case of issues/failures

I have had a good read around on here but cannot find an answer.

If i purchase a used key card from eBay, can I just get it recoded from Renault?
Does anyone else code them? (Is it DIY-able?)
What sort of money is this service?

I don't need it but I want a second one in case of issues/failures

No.

You need to buy another card from Renault.

be about £175 - £200 coded from Renault.

They have recently changed them- they used to be blank ~ £100 then £80 to code.

Now they come pre coded so no other places can code them for cheaper. You need to go into Renault with your log book + ID>

S

Only renault can code the key. One new key fob supplied from France and programmed for me was £165 and for two it was £200.

Be careful as I had a massive issue with renault. I ordered a new key so I had a spare, then it arrive and renault programmed it they said my old key does not work anymore and told me I had to buy a new Key. After much argument and contacting RUK they supplied me with a second key for £15 as I only had the car for 7 days BUT if you have had the car longer their argument will be the life span of the key is only about 5-7 years.

Be prepared to potentially pay out for a second key.

tbf fair, they shouldnt be wiping the the other card when programming another, i think the situation above was job worths trying it on.

tbf fair, they shouldnt be wiping the the other card when programming another, i think the situation above was job worths trying it on.

It wasn't that they wiped the old key, apparently the old key was not compatible with the new software update. But I agree - I think they were trying it on!

As much as it is it is aimed to stop people reprogramming keys to steal cars.

Dammed if you do, damned if you don't.

After what was happening with bmws, i glad renault have took responsible to stop other places coding keys, imagine taking your car to to have a key done, and he does two and sells it to a local toerag.