Replacement gearbox

Hey guys just put a depost down on a lovely 197 that I will be collecting Friday next week, 2008 32k miles on the clock!

Only worry is the dealer said that the gearbox has been replaced around a year ago under warranty. The new one feels very precise so assuming nothing is wrong now but am I buying a car that has been thrashed or is this a common problem?

Another question if it has been replaced buy Renault do they replace it with a better box or just the one as before? I mean I'm assuming it's good news it has been replaced as it saves me the hassle but thought I would ask in here just to make sure.

Also how often do the cambelts need changing as its comin up to 4 years old with 32k on the clock? From what I remember owning a 182 a few years back I think I had it done about 35k miles

Cheers guys

Cambelts r five years mate and it will be te same box that's been put in it's a very common problem with the clios also I would advise u to get them to check the ball joints on the car also before u leave the garage with it a they r also very common problems with 197s and very pricey to get fixed. Apart from that u will love her

Ok well will take it to k-tek in a year or so time for the cambelt change. Hmm a bit of a worry that the gearbox might go again after being replaced buy Renault once :-/ especially as it will be my daily run around. What sort of bill am I looking at for a replacement or a referb on one of those.

Is strange that they would replace it with the same gearbox if there is a known fault :worried:

It's not so much a known fault just a ****ty gearbox why to do is buy updated gearbox oil get it filled up with that and that will really help I've used my cup as my daily and I haven't had my gearbox replaced don't worry about it too much as I say get it filled up with really good gearbox oil

Hmm ok so you don't think this is a reason to steer clear of one? Is just a little worrying when you read of boxes going that have only done say 10k miles

It's up to u mate but if u look after it it will be fine u have a brand new box in that as I say it's up to u but they r amazing cars

Replacement gearbox shouldn't be a concern, the gearboxes are chocolate so doesn't take much abuse to need replacement.

FYI Cambelt at a dealer is £700+.

K-tek it's just under £500 for a cambelt change I believe checked prices yesterday!

Hmm well I did really enjoy driving the car and the interior is a major improvement over the 182, never know I might get lucky and have a decent gearbox. I don't take it racing at all so never really thrashing through gears or riding clutch. Just use it to potter back and forth to work and take it for a quick spin on weekends.

Will get some decent oil and keep fingers crossed, another thing I only do about 4,000 miles a year in it so should get a few years out of it *hopefully*

Keep in mind that you may want a goodwill claim from Renault later, and if you don't have main dealer history you won't get one.

Don't worry bout it n enjoy. ALL cars have their downfalls. Mine has the odd "graunch" but hey ho..go with the flow.

Enjoy mate

Cambelts due on mine but k-tech way too far for me. Maybe diamond for me.

There's a recent thread on gearbox replacements too, take a squiz

Last edited:
That's true all cars do have their problems just one of those things with this model I guess, tbh I prob won't have it long enough to worry about gearbox failing this is my 10th car in two years :tongueout:, be lucky if it's still on my drive after a year!

K-tek is a 4 hour trek from me but when they did the cambelt on my 182 was worth every penny! If gear box did fail would t go through Renault have seen there is a company on here that would do the refurb for £1k which when push comes to hover hove doesn't seem to unreasonable.

I'm
Surprised but now though that there is no solutiOn to this problem like a diff aftermarket one or something ...