Removing White Marks from Splitter and Plastics

Sam E

Paid Member
Hi guys,

When I last washed my car (admittedly it was months ago), I put some Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care stuff on the RS Splitter and Skirts, A/B Trims and plastic door handles (poverty cup spec), thinking the rubberised finish on the RS Kit would take to the Autoglym stuff and turn from a slightly faded grey back to a nice black. It worked initially but within a couple of days once it had properly dried it left white marks all over everything which were an absolute PITA to get off. I managed to get the worst (but not all) of the white stuff off the skirts and splitter with APC and a mixture of elbow grease and a drill brush attachment but some of it remained on the kit and the door handles especially. I'm wanting to start afresh and clean it properly, then properly protect the surfaces with something that'll not only last but actually make the trims black again.

Does anyone know what will get rid of the white marks completely? I don't want to apply a decent product on top and end up with miscoloured sections where the Autoglym stuff is still lurking. I think Gtechniq C4 is the stuff I see mentioned often, is this still the stuff to use for the rubbery RS Splitter and skirts?

Cheers

I've read about everything from autoglym tar remover, fast glass, any all purpose cleaner, to peanut butter, baby oil, and pencil rubbers being effective.

I have used a pencil rubber before to get wax residue off of black plastics before when I have been too lazy to put masking tape on the car.

Gtechniq C4 is really good on black plastics.

It is a pain. If you know you have got it on the plastic, I have found that window cleaner is a good way to remove it before it dries. Best way however, is just not clean the car! :sunglasses:

Cheers for the replies, I use Fast Glass for the windows anyway so I'll give it a try and see if it gets the residue of the rubber and vinyl treatment off. I'll grab a bottle of C4 to apply to the trims ready for when it's a bit warmer, probably best to not apply that stuff in this weather.

It is a pain. If you know you have got it on the plastic, I have found that window cleaner is a good way to remove it before it dries. Best way however, is just not clean the car! :sunglasses:

Not cleaning the car is my usual technique :laughing: but the last time I did clean it I went the full hog and now I've ended up with these white marks everywhere. Lesson learned, it can stay dirty next time :grin:

Reactions: DS197