Removing Upper Engine Mount

burrellbloke

Paid Member
I am trying to tidy up my engine bay slightly.

The upper engine mount for my car could do with a rub down and respray on some of its edges.

This is the mount I am talking about.

D4B5CBE1-0FDC-47C4-8549-E7115243875F.jpeg

Can I loosen off the bolts, remove the metal mount without having to support the engine, then leave it out for a few days and put it back without causing any damage?

This is a better photo of the mount. Whilst I don't doubt your knowledge @suj can I make sure that the black metal plate is not just a cover that I can remove whilst leaving the other parts of the mount in place?

IMG_1800.jpeg

If the engine does needs supporting, if I take off the under tray, where is the best place to put a jack to support the engine weight without causing any damage?

That's the main engine mount, it has a suspended rubber bush (which you then fill the voids with powerflex bush to limit movement aka make it stiffer).
So you need to support engine (take undertray off, put some wood between jack and sump, DO NOT jack it straight off the sump, the wood will spread the load over the sump).
Then you can undo the bolt running left to right in that pic, that goes to the engine.
Then you can undo the bolts that hold the mount to the chassis.

The whole mount is that black part you're eluding to

1617464696293.png

The whole unit is the "engine mount".

If you were closer I'd give you my old mount in my shed to put back on so you could paint yours.