Removing pads from calipers

Hi all, first of all I know there is a how to on this but just wanted to ask a few things.

What did people use to get the pins out? I have my replacement ones ready

Is it safe (and easy) to do for someone who has never done this before?

Any hints or tips?

Cheers guys :thumbup1:

I just used a nail punch to get my pins out and it worked a treat.

I hardly had any experience with changing pads etc especially the brembo's and I found it OK.

Lots of penetrating fluid first if they've not been done in a while.

And then anything narrow enough to sit on them whilst you give them a nice tap with a dynamic persuader.

i used a drill bit. Larger one first and then a smaller one once the pin is flush with the caliper.

I will stop off at Halfords tonight and get a nail punch set as im sure it will come in handy again. Im now armed with my 'how to' so will tackle this over the weekend

I did mine the other day. The punch bent before the pins would budge. I cut the pins using a dremmel then the ends stuck in the caliper finally came out with a bit of persuasion from a lump hammer.

I've replaced the pins with a set from Mr Pink, so hopefully won't have that issue again!

little tips for you...

put some penetration spray on

tap the pins "in" first ie dont knock them out - this helps to break the corrosion

when you knock them out make sure you give the hammer (not one of those toffee ones at 0.5lb) a proper smack to shock the pins out (sort of) - no limp wrist taps of the hammer if you know what i mean

if you can get a pin punch of say 3-4mm with a slight hollow end they are even better :thumbup1:

Cheers Foxspeed, will give the pins a spray of WD40 before hand then follow with a corrosion breaking tap followed with a hefty whack or two, sound ok?

I have the laser set (top link). They started to bend whilst using them but that said they are longer than the Halfords set which came in useful after i'd cut the pins.

It would be a good idea to put some WD40/GT85 on the night before to help with removal but, BUT! any of this stuff on the discs/pads will result in no brakes so YOU NEED TO BE CAREFULL when doing this.