Removing front suspension, help needed?

Hi guys

Tried to get front suspension off but having trouble getting the wishbone to drop far enough to get the suspension arm out. Have removed top three bolts, next bolt down (Flat plate bolt) and the wishbone guide bolt. the arm is sliding out but cannot get the wishbone to drop fully to get the last inch out.

What am I missing? Do i need to undo centre top bolt too before it will come out?

I really need you help guys.

Cheers

hi kevo

i see you are more active on here mate :smile: We applied lots of force believe me had 2x4's wedged in trying to pri it out but just would not budge! Once the bugger is out im now frieghted the thing wont go back in. Surely im missing something it should be that difficult to drop it far enough.

Does the very bottom bolt on the wish bone need to be removed ? I see differing opinions on here.

Last edited:
We gave it a fair bit of wellie im afraid we are going to break or bend something.

Do we only need to remove top three bolts, first bolt underneath spring (on flat plate) and guide bolt (back of wishbone)? Does the top middle bolt need to be undone completely before it will come out? Does the brake line fastner plate need to be removed?

Sorry I have to ask these questions its just the guides on here differ and some say remove more bolts than others.

We tried to leaver the arm out by using a 2x4 between the top of the wishbone and the flat plates on the suspension arm and we still couldnt budge the last inch or two out. Im worried if we did get it out how would we get it back in. How much gap did you guys have to play with after getting out?

I assume you've undone and remove the brakect holding the brake line on, the hub definately wont drop with that on

na we had left that on, will it really stop it dropping? it didnt look like it was fastend to anything but the brake lines and the wishbone and a cant think the brake lines would be stopping it as they would easily travel far enough. Or were we missing something, couldnt see the brake pipe bracket holding onto anything else?

Cheers

the wishbone necks out on the subframe .you remove some of the lower links and the whole strut will come out no need to force anything.more work but no force required so no chance of breaking anything

the wishbone necks out on the subframe .you remove some of the lower links and the whole strut will come out no need to force anything.more work but no force required so no chance of breaking anything

That was my next port of call as this looked like what was stopping it. However the front bolt looks impossible to remove because the sub frame is in the way. (bolt at back in image below)

P9170014.gif

I dont believe the brake line holder was stopping it from dropping, the hose had plenty of slack so would of easily have dropped but wishbone joint on the sub frame looked like it was on the limit of its travel. I am sure something else needs to be undone to do it properly. The thought of putting a jack in between wishbone and suspension support plate doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

Last edited:
sounds a bad idea to me if that jack flicks out you will know about it .i will have a look in the morning to try and jog my memory ,

sounds a bad idea to me if that jack flicks out you will know about it .i will have a look in the morning to try and jog my memory ,

The jack idea comes from the "how to" guide on here, to me looks a bad bad idea like you say if it slips you are gonna know about it.

If you could have a look ex. I would really apprieciate it.

ok had a look today i removed the bottom ball joint nearest the hub and the small drop link next to it .then the hub will come down and you can remove the strut.be carefull not to let the shaft come out and dislodge the spring in the cv