Rear wheel pushed back into wheel arch!

Having just hit a gate hinge in my 197, the damn thing has put a short deep gouge in the offside rear sill, the hinge has then hit my rear tyre/wheel and pushed it back into the arch. It hit with some force and car is now Undrivable [emoji35] my stupid fault for not paying full attention. Question is what the hell has bent? Is there a possibility the rear axle could be, I thought they would be tougher than that. Is there a wishbone or something connecting the rear hub that can be replaced? Any advice would be grateful, it's getting looked over by the garage tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi, are you sure it's not the bumper or arch that's bent as it would take considerable force to bend a back axle as really high impact as you said a gate hinge wouldn't imagine you would have been driven any speed to do this! Any pics of damage ? Have you had it checked yet ?.

you probably bent the rear axle, its a pretty soft so it bents quite easily when hitting something. you can get it repaired (straightenet) or replaced, however the clio cup race cars one is cheaper (and a bit stronger) than a normal road car version.

Turns out i bent the rear axle, alloy and gouged the rear quarter panel. Insurance guy says they usually write off vehicles when it will cost more than 65% of the vehicles value to fix. Lucky for me he's valued my 197 lux at £6k. New rear axle etc on order and est a 2-2 1/2 k cost to repair. Part of me is well pleased but with my gap insurance payout along with their settlement in mind, I'd already started lookin at 200s. Some nice motors out there.

Turns about along with the the rear axle, I managed to damage the rear sub/stub?axle....garage has sourced all other parts but this part is on back order from Dieppe. Can someone enlighten me as to what a rear sub/stub axle does and is it safe to get a used one from a scrappy. Apparently regular Clio's don't have have them. Cheers all

Turns about along with the the rear axle, I managed to damage the rear sub/stub?axle....garage has sourced all other parts but this part is on back order from Dieppe. Can someone enlighten me as to what a rear sub/stub axle does and is it safe to get a used one from a scrappy. Apparently regular Clio's don't have have them. Cheers all

Its the small part that fits on the end of the axle that holds the wheel on! You would be better of with new if possible its No 14 in the pic below.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Schermata2014-03-11a144005_zps35523a47.jpg
    Schermata2014-03-11a144005_zps35523a47.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 161
Turns out i bent the rear axle, alloy and gouged the rear quarter panel. Insurance guy says they usually write off vehicles when it will cost more than 65% of the vehicles value to fix. Lucky for me he's valued my 197 lux at £6k. New rear axle etc on order and est a 2-2 1/2 k cost to repair. Part of me is well pleased but with my gap insurance payout along with their settlement in mind, I'd already started lookin at 200s. Some nice motors out there.

Your a crazy man. I wouldn't have even gone through the insurers! The only time I'd ever do that is if someone else was involved or if I ditched it hard!

Yeah it's def pic 14. I would get a second hand from a breakers if your really struggling as it's not a part that's goes faulty regularly. Phone breakers up and even have a look on ebay. You could have prob got a full rear axle from a breakers complete.

Thanks guys, the insurance approved garage fixing it wants to use new as I do but its been a month now waiting for it. I can't believe there is not one in the whole of the u.k. I Didn't have a great deal of choice regarding going through insurers. My technical knowledge just about stretches to basic maintenance, they've provided a car until fixed albeit a Skoda Citigo, [emoji592] and the premium has not changed that much. smithandroper how would I find the part number and check for myself? Mind you it's in the garage/insurers interests to get me on the rd asap...

If you are looking at that sort of cost to repair the damage, then I think you've done the right thing going through the insurance. Unless of course you have that kind of spare cash laying around....

That's why we pay for insurance, to give us protection if our cars get damaged. Granted, it might affect premiums, but I can't see it increasing £2-2.5k.

Is it the stub axle you are looking for? LH is 7701478228, RH is 7701478229.
I've been waiting for this part for over a month now, and I only need the part the holds the abs sensor (Renault won't sell it separately). Please let me know if you find any!

Thanks JSD, the garage iam using says there are none in the U.K. As I posted earlier it's been ordered from the factory in Dieppe, although it was supposed to arrive last Friday and it didn't, it's being looked into but iam beginning to wonder if it actually exists! Will def let you know if I find one.

JSD, still waiting, Renault giving my garage the run around. The guy was even looking at used ones and fit that and when the new one eventually gets here, they would swap it. But he couldn't find one.Cheers for the eBay heads up, I'll let him know, at least they have supplied me with a loan car. Let me know when yours gets here, iam beginning to think they don't bloody exist!