Rear Fog Lights

bigsid

Paid Member
Hi, I've been giving my new/old 197 Cup a good once over checking everything and fixing stuff I find as I go. I noticed one of the rear fog lights wasn't working on the passenger side. I changed the bulb, but it still doesn't light up and the bulb I took out looked fine (filament was intact). I'm now wondering if this car is supposed to have two rear fogs or just the one? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Only the drivers side is supposed to light up. The other side will be there for lhd cars and it's cheaper to just use the same light units. I imagine someone out there has wired it up so they both come on but it's not supposed to from the factory.

Reactions: Beany
Only the drivers side is supposed to light up. The other side will be there for lhd cars and it's cheaper to just use the same light units. I imagine someone out there has wired it up so they both come on but it's not supposed to from the factory.
Brilliant, thanks!

Is that true... on my 200 they both light up

Is that true... on my 200 they both light up

Can only go from my experience but on my early 200 only the drivers side lights up. Maybe they updated it with later 200's but i always assumed that they kept it all the same.

Legally speaking only the one on the offside of the vehicle needs to light up.

Any one else with a later 200 able to get in on this?

Reactions: Beany
Mine (LHD) only lights up the left side. Which makes sense as it's the side facing towards the center of the road.

I haven't looked into the books but I'd say it's even forbidden to have more than one foglight (lit) on the back of a car over here.

Mine (LHD) only lights up the left side. Which makes sense as it's the side facing towards the center of the road.

I haven't looked into the books but I'd say it's even forbidden to have more than one foglight (lit) on the back of a car over here.
Yeah makes sense. Mine lights up only on the right (RHD). I've had a Toyota in the past that was the same, two lights but only one worked. However my BMW has rear fogs on both sides which work.

I'd quite like two just for symmetry but I don't have any wire to link them and 2.5mm2 twin and earth is probably a bit overkill :neutral:

Apparently it’s “programmed” by Renault to only work on the offside.

I’m trying to register a RHD Clio in France and they require me to make the opposite fog light work (both are acceptable).

Before I go rewiring anything, is there not just a simple way of “reprogramming” it? Eg. Sending an OBD code to the control unit (I’ve seen this solution on a Skoda forum for an Octavia).

Thanks to anyone who can help!