Rear calipers

So, I've got that old problem of the handbrake being slack and the rear calipers not functioning properly/not returning the cable. Took it to the garage.

I've been told that the calipers and discs need replacing.
Apparently the calipers Renault use can be had in unpainted oem generic form for much less than from Renault. Does anyone know wheres best to get replacements from?

Also, how would you know if a strip and regrease would be an option? Has that worked for anyone?

Obviously I don't fancy buying new rears of I can help it :worried:

Thanks!

Also one thing to check is the handbrake cable, I changed this on mine, cost less than £20 for the cable and I think they are a common thing to go wrong

I had an issue with low brake efficiency on my osr caliper , MOT place said it would need replacing. However with a little greasing of the adjustment arm and bleeding it was back up to full performance.

I would take the rear wheel off and with the handbrake off check the function of the adjuster. It will probably benefit from a good clean up with brake cleaner and check that it's moving freely. You can also spin the wheel and move the adjuster to check it is working to apply the brakes to the rear. I would also check the rear caliper piston isn't siezed , you will need a wind back tool to do this and the cap off your brake fluid reservoir.

With the cable removed you can also check the cable moves freely inside the handbrake cable casing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I had an issue with low brake efficiency on my osr caliper , MOT place said it would need replacing. However with a little greasing of the adjustment arm and bleeding it was back up to full performance.

I would take the rear wheel off and with the handbrake off check the function of the adjuster. It will probably benefit from a good clean up with brake cleaner and check that it's moving freely. You can also spin the wheel and move the adjuster to check it is working to apply the brakes to the rear. I would also check the rear caliper piston isn't siezed , you will need a wind back tool to do this and the cap off your brake fluid reservoir.

With the cable removed you can also check the cable moves freely inside the handbrake cable casing.

always do this first!

top advice

always do this first!

top advice

+1

Recent "brake service" transformed my brakes. This involved only new pins / pad retaining clips for the front (£15 off ebay) and some love. attention, cleaning, lubrication and adjustment.

Inherent design with the rear especially of needing some care and attention. And new calipers or not; you'll be back to the same place eventually...........

Thanks for the good advice all round. So awesome.
[MENTION=51896]JSD[/MENTION] what's that second link for? Is just part number.
Is there a guide for refurbing using the kit?

Ta

Regular brake service is definitely a must. If the rear caliper has been seizing on then it may have knackered the pads and discs - this happened to me last year, needing a replacement. The handbrake cable was also worn as well which made matters worse.

Similar Thread Suggestions