Rear brakes squeal/grind

Just handed my car into the my local garage to check out the rear brakes - terrible squeal when reversing/turning corners at low speed and I can hear a slight rubbing/grinding when pulling away. Is it normal to have rear pads requiring replacement this early on? I've done about 20k miles.

Sounds like the pads might have corroded a bit. Strip the brakes down, clean them up and reassemble. When you do this you can also check how much material is left on the pads

if the handbrake has been adjusted wrong then yes as it causes the rear pads to bind !
or it could be a sticking auto adjuster - should really have a brake service performed every year - that is strip/clean/lube/re-fit

Sound. I had my handbrake adjusted at my last service, the service I was left no too happy with! I'll see what the lad is saying this afternoon and will keep that in mind when talking to him.

Yeah I get the squeal occasionally strip down and copper grease I think is the solution

Sound. I had my handbrake adjusted at my last service, the service I was left no too happy with! I'll see what the lad is saying this afternoon and will keep that in mind when talking to him.

if the pads are worn down - replace the pads and have the handbrake de-adjusted - fit the pads and make sure they are fitted and the pistons are fully out - then adjust the handbrake up without causing the wheels to bind

Cheers. Pads are not too worn and just required a clean up. Think I'll look into replacing all pads prior to MOT in November. Anyone suggest a good set at a reasonable price? Ferrodo??

Cheers. Pads are not too worn and just required a clean up. Think I'll look into replacing all pads prior to MOT in November. Anyone suggest a good set at a reasonable price? Ferrodo??

look on here in the traders section - think you find a reputable company....world of parts