Radiator fan woes

Issue with radiator fan not turning on at all. I took it to an auto electrician who said there's no power getting to the fan as his diagnostic tool won't turn the fan on low or high speed. Quoted me £300 to check the fuse box to the right of the battery saying it was a battery out, bumper off job or something ridiculous. Laughed and left, and got to the fusebox myself in 5 minutes.

Moved a couple of relays around to test, but engine got up to 100c and no fan kicked in still, so don't think it's a relay issue? It doesn't come on when AC is on, but my AC needs gassing, so don't think AC turns on when empty?

Seen other thread suggest thermostat could be an issue, but not sure how thermostat relates to no fan turning on? Surely I'd see weird temp readings on the gauge, but temp gauge behaves normal I think.

Coolant temp sensor too? Does anyone know the part number for Clio 200 temp sensor? Tried looking on eBay, but struggling to find an exact one as about 50 different sensors are in the listings.

With a Renault clip it shows how the system is working and if the commands for cooling fan on or off at high or low speed are being sent which can eliminate the sensor and command side of the system. You need to know if the fan is working and only if you know what you are doing give the fan directly to its connector 12volts and see if it works at least its a start when you have a working fan if not your wasting your time. If your getting temperature indications it's unlikely the sensors are faulty. The box to the side of the battery could be faulty as it is the main switching unit for nearly everything but can be narrowed down if you see the commands being sent and the fan is tested working. A damaged engine will cost a lot more that £300 if the fault continues and the weather at the moment is not in your favour with the heat if you get stuck with high temp turn the internal heater full temp and run the fan full speed it will help but not fix it and keep the car moving and the revs low unless the warning light comes on then you have to stop. Check all the fuses but if its blown you need to find out why the mechanic might have told you that price inc. a new box he might have fitted them before and that was all he was going to do they are prone to water damage and changing that can be quicker than pulling the car apart and testing everything else.

Reactions: Harrysoon
with reference to the above picture - check "597" fuse - had a couple of these come out from underneath making a bad connection...

with reference to the above picture - check "597" fuse - had a couple of these come out from underneath making a bad connection...

With a Renault clip it shows how the system is working and if the commands for cooling fan on or off at high or low speed are being sent which can eliminate the sensor and command side of the system. You need to know if the fan is working and only if you know what you are doing give the fan directly to its connector 12volts and see if it works at least its a start when you have a working fan if not your wasting your time. If your getting temperature indications it's unlikely the sensors are faulty. The box to the side of the battery could be faulty as it is the main switching unit for nearly everything but can be narrowed down if you see the commands being sent and the fan is tested working. A damaged engine will cost a lot more that £300 if the fault continues and the weather at the moment is not in your favour with the heat if you get stuck with high temp turn the internal heater full temp and run the fan full speed it will help but not fix it and keep the car moving and the revs low unless the warning light comes on then you have to stop. Check all the fuses but if its blown you need to find out why the mechanic might have told you that price inc. a new box he might have fitted them before and that was all he was going to do they are prone to water damage and changing that can be quicker than pulling the car apart and testing everything else.

Yeah been trying my best to get it sorted with this heatwave! The guy I took it too said he checked everything he could besides the fusebox to the right of the battery, so checked the two relays myself today, but still nothing. I'll go over the fuses as per the diagram again and make sure didn't miss anything.

Was talking to a mate about it today, and he mentioned he knows a guy from the Renault garage who would probably have a look at it for me outside of work, so see what he comes up with.

Yeah been trying my best to get it sorted with this heatwave! The guy I took it too said he checked everything he could besides the fusebox to the right of the battery, so checked the two relays myself today, but still nothing. I'll go over the fuses as per the diagram again and make sure didn't miss anything.

Was talking to a mate about it today, and he mentioned he knows a guy from the Renault garage who would probably have a look at it for me outside of work, so see what he comes up with.
And 5 hrs is taking the p*ss

If he didn’t have the wiring diagram above he was probably an idiot, with that I’d have told you what was wrong inside an hr, 25 quid done :smile: wiring diagrams are essential to fault finding

Put power down pin five of relay 234 and high speed should work, and power down pin 1 of the resistor will make slow speed work, I’m guessing 1337 is the engine management ecu, would be handy to have the number codes for the items mentioned, I can guess, but others may not with a lack of familiarity with French diagrams

Put power down pin five of relay 234 and high speed should work, and power down pin 1 of the resistor will make slow speed work, I’m guessing 1337 is the engine management ecu, would be handy to have the number codes for the items mentioned, I can guess, but others may not with a lack of familiarity with French diagrams

Probably one of those questions that if I'm asking I shouldn't be doing, but not sure how to go about sending power to the fan without blowing something - guessing it involves sticking a paperclip down the pin and connecting the power?

Might just leave that to someone who knows what they're doing :chris2:

That's the thing about problems on the forum you don't know on the face of it how technical the person asking is and sometimes the car itself has an obvious history that explains the problem for example cut the CAT out or remove airbags and then wonder why warning lights are on. If the guy you lined up borrows the Dealer clip I'm sure they can track down the problem. Would you have other problems like car alarm going off, lights not acting correctly, maybe electrical ignition noise when the car is turned off and locked.

Anyway lets throw all the diagrams at this it may help someone in the future Clio 197 2008 the last item is interesting 234 its a relay for Air Con clutch and cooling fan two problems that you say you have:

upload_2018-7-15_12-46-33.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-46-58.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-47-18.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-47-33.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-47-52.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-48-14.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-48-30.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-48-46.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-48-59.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-49-16.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-49-29.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-49-52.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-50-4.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-50-19.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-50-32.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-50-46.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-50-59.png
upload_2018-7-15_12-51-13.png

I'm sorry I don't want to cause any offence but did I miss something were did the 5hrs come from?
I honestly don’t know :smile: maybe I meant to write 300 quid but had a different though halfway through writing it.... I didn’t want to edit my post as then your post wouldn’t have made sense...

That's the thing about problems on the forum you don't know on the face of it how technical the person asking is and sometimes the car itself has an obvious history that explains the problem for example cut the CAT out or remove airbags and then wonder why warning lights are on. If the guy you lined up borrows the Dealer clip I'm sure they can track down the problem. Would you have other problems like car alarm going off, lights not acting correctly, maybe electrical ignition noise when the car is turned off and locked.

Anyway lets throw all the diagrams at this it may help someone in the future Clio 197 2008 the last item is interesting 234 its a relay for Air Con clutch and cooling fan two problems that you say you have:

View attachment 126473

Ahh those diagrams are great, cheers! Definitely keeping them for reference. Found a few online, but nothing as concise as them.

I should hopefully hear back about the guy tomorrow and get something sorted with him.

Don't have any other issues at all with the car, all other electrics work perfectly and no ignition noises or anything.

As for relay 234, that would be the purple one (part # 12v-50a-03525)? That was one of the first things I checked after reading about it in another thread. Admittedly it was second hand off of eBay, but thought that chances of me receiving a dead one were low.

Had another check over everything with those diagrams, and nothing seems like it has a loose connection or anything. Only thing I wasn't sure about was this connector in the engine fusebox not being plugged in to anything, but couldn't find anything for it to plug in to?

20180715_183250.jpg

I honestly don’t know :smile: maybe I meant to write 300 quid but had a different though halfway through writing it.... I didn’t want to edit my post as then your post wouldn’t have made sense...

Haha, to be fair the guy had the car for the best part of a day. Luckily didn't charge me anything for what he did, which from what it sounds like wasn't a lot!

Haha, to be fair the guy had the car for the best part of a day. Luckily didn't charge me anything for what he did, which from what it sounds like wasn't a lot!
Daft question, where are you in the country roughly? I’d happily have a look if your anywhere near j28m1?

Yea I have one of those connectors in my switching unit if anyone can let us know what it's for, my 197 has not got cornering lights, xenon's or climate control although I have been able to retrofit auto headlights and rain sensor the other week as I had a cracked windscreen so fitted the other type of window and put the sensor rear view mirror on and activated the functions. For £65 windscreen access it was worth it and my next upgrade is climate control the dash trim seems to be the hardest part to get.

That's the turn off for the 8 Ball custom paint place there's a guy there with a LY 197 they did all the BMW UK limited edition paintwork and our race bodywork a couple of years ago.

Yea I have one of those connectors in my switching unit if anyone can let us know what it's for, my 197 has not got cornering lights, xenon's or climate control although I have been able to retrofit auto headlights and rain sensor the other week as I had a cracked windscreen so fitted the other type of window and put the sensor rear view mirror on and activated the functions. For £65 windscreen access it was worth it and my next upgrade is climate control the dash trim seems to be the hardest part to get.

I should have a climate control fascia for sale soon Turkie if you need it. The button unit is normally cheap enough on eBay.

OP, the only way the thermostat can cause the engine to overheat is to stick closed and not let coolant to circulate. Most of the time they are designed to fail open as not getting hot enough is not as bad as overheating. This wouldn't stop the fan coming on though.

Cool that would be great I can get most climate parts from other Clio's but there is not many with push button start but I now think Clio GT's from 2010 were keyless push button start.

Cool that would be great I can get most climate parts from other Clio's but there is not many with push button start but I now think Clio GT's from 2010 were keyless push button start.

Do you mean for the purposes of the fascia? As long as all goes to plan (picking up a gloss grey fascia to match the rest of the interior trim mid August as current owner wont send it via post) and I wont want alot for the original Sport one.