R888R Vs AR-1

Helpimonfire

Paid Member
I'm looking to change from my Nankang NS2R as I think they're not quite suited to my car and setup.

So I've narrowed it down to the Toyo R888R or Nankang AR-1. Anyone used both? Any opinions? I spoke to a couple of people that swear by AR-1s and vice versa.

Mainly used on track with occasional road use. They'll be in 215/45/17 and price difference is negligible to be honest.

Reactions: Beany
Used both, there is not a lot between them, I’m on R888r now as they’re more suited to light road use, noisy tyre tho!

again heard great news about MRF.

can borrow mine for Snetty if you’ve not got any beforehand

Reactions: Helpimonfire
Hi. AR1 are the better out of the two imo. Grippier and don’t wear the outside edge anywhere near as quick. Don’t expect more than 2 trackdays out of them if you’re pushing on…

MRF I would say maybe aren’t as grippy and take a lap or two to get warm. But, I’ve still not managed to cause any damage to mine yet.
I come back in after 40 mins of Blyton which is notorious for drivers side front wear, and I was expecting there to be nothing left of the shoulder… they were fine!

I’ve done 2 trackdays on them now and there’s still plenty of tread left. Even if they only last another 2 days, that’s twice as good as AR1/888R

I've been hearing good things about the MRF, so I'll add those to the list. Speaking to a few others via FB has left me even more confused as they rate the Dunlop DZ03 (or whatever they are, the Direzza).

I've still got some life left in the NS2R so I'll keep them for Snetterton unless I can shift the Focus and free up some pennies.

Mind you, with the weather at the minute I'll be needing an outboard motor and a life jacket :tearsofjoy:

Direzza’s are meant be real good. But again, they just don’t have the longevity. I seen a lad on insta managed ruin a set at Brands the other week.

Tis all driving style dependant though I suppose. There’s 6 of us now in the Track Baguettes which run the MRF’s. I think that speaks volumes in itself.

Direzza’s are meant be real good. But again, they just don’t have the longevity. I seen a lad on insta managed ruin a set at Brands the other week.

Tis all driving style dependant though I suppose. There’s 6 of us now in the Track Baguettes which run the MRF’s. I think that speaks volumes in itself.

DZ03G are brilliant (well were), tyres are also very car specific, I used them on my 200sx and E36, they lasted a long time, also like you said driving styles too.

I would like to try the MRFs, might get them next once I kill my tyres

Looks like the MRF or AR-1s are going to be the next new purchase. I've just managed to get hold of a set of Kuhmo V70a in medium compound for £120 so I'll give those a bash on my other wheels at Snetterton. But this is mainly out of curiosity as they were so cheap. If I can shift my Focus in the next week or so I'll pick up a set of MRF to try and then replace the heat cycled NS2Rs with AR1s and do a head to head.

I ran them previously. Great tyre…. Don’t last too long though :tearsofjoy:
Was gutted about them. As they were only 400 or so new.

I ran them previously. Great tyre…. Don’t last too long though :tearsofjoy:
Was gutted about them. As they were only 400 or so new.

They weren't K70a were they? Weren't they C30s?

I have run V70a (they were used on a set of wheels I bought) really liked them, my mate ran then on his E46 M3 track car and he swore by them at the time.

Nope. I’ve ran both medium and hard compound V70a and hard compound TM02

This is the medium v70 after a day at Blyton
DF3B38DE-340E-44AE-B1FA-29026F441E08.jpeg

This is the hard v70a after a morning of Anglesey
630CCB27-8BEF-427B-B65E-DA1874DE96EB.jpeg

Suffice to say, they’re now in the bin where they belong. Great tyre for the first 10 mins - nowhere near as grippy as AR1 in the 2 compounds I’ve tried.

Reactions: suj
DZ03G are a brilliant tyre, you can take real liberties with them. I’ve got a fresh set of ZTR for Snet to compare the 2.

Reactions: RSRowe
Was quite some time ago mate. They were a bargain at the time…. But the wear negated the money saving.

It probably seems like I keep going on about the ZTR. But I’m not saying they’re the best thing in the world….They just work well for me and the boys when we are nose to tail, over driving, and pissing the marshals off.

Reactions: suj
Hi. AR1 are the better out of the two imo. Grippier and don’t wear the outside edge anywhere near as quick. Don’t expect more than 2 trackdays out of them if you’re pushing on…

2 Trackdays?!? That is really pushing it! I think I am up to 5 days and still looking good although I agree they are soft, sticky by the time you get to the first corner.

I’ve tried slicks Direzza and AR1. Lap times they are in that order. Won’t bother with slicks again as it’s a lottery buying used and tbh I’ve ticked that box and semis are very very good these days.
Direzza and AR1 are chalk and cheese in feel. Direzza soft in comparison. Kinda feels like it rolls over but never lets go. AR1 stiffer and predictable. I actually slightly prefer the AR1 as it suits my slow and smooth(!) style whereas you end up taking liberties with Direzza as you know they gonna grip and get you out the shit!
Will try MRF eventually as I love to compare

Reactions: RSRowe and suj
2 Trackdays?!? That is really pushing it! I think I am up to 5 days and still looking good although I agree they are soft, sticky by the time you get to the first corner.
It’s just what happens when there’s a big group of us out at the same time.

They’re a mint tyre but not good enough for what I put them through.

Medium Kumho were K60, I can't remember the soft and super soft numbers, K90 was hard.
If you push a 888 hard it will go greasy after 3 to 4 laps.
AR1 are very well liked but "wear so quickly" is usually the comment that follows.
Direzza are obviously well regarded but a common issue on FWD is rapid shoulder wear.
If you bought your ZTR's from Tegiwa or ex Civic Cup / Type R Trophy, you have a hard tyre.
I have to tow the car up with the van, so if anyone wants tyres let me know soon as.
Oh, and a heat cycled NS-2R is a scary thing.

Reactions: Helpimonfire
Well, after reading many reviews and taking comments on board I've taken the plunge and ordered a set of MRF ZTR from @NickD at MOT Motorsport. He's offered to fit them for me at Snetterton if I don't get them fitted in time which is very good of him!

Reactions: Big Ben and RSRowe