R20 BTG - 200 Cup Track Car Blog

I’m happy to be corrected but I’m sure the rear is -1.4° from factory?
It probably is - my point was that I've not added any shims to the rear, and it looks odd compared to the front
(which is to cup race spec)

Apologies for not being clearer

Reactions: Big Ben
It probably is - my point was that I've not added any shims to the rear, and it looks odd compared to the front
(which is to cup race spec)

Apologies for not being clearer
Wasn’t digging you out and definitely no need to apologise mate. I’m in same boat with camber up front and “none” on rear until it was recently pointed out to me after 5yrs of ownership that they have a bit of negative camber from factory!

Reactions: Beany and RSRowe
I just wanted to make sure that they did indeed come with the adjustable tops. A lot of these sites show generic images at times so I didn't want to trust from the photo alone that they came with the top mounts.

It just seems strange why you wouldn't mention it in the item description.

I assume you guys that have them fitted haven't run into any of the clearance issues suffered by Crunchy and his mates?

• Haha
Reactions: RSRowe
I just wanted to make sure that they did indeed come with the adjustable tops. A lot of these sites show generic images at times so I didn't want to trust from the photo alone that they came with the top mounts.

I assume you guys that have them fitted haven't run into any of the clearance issues suffered by Crunchy and his mates?

Yeah they do come with top mounts, I agree it should mention it. Matt (@R27WTF) It might be worth updating your listing to say so?

Crunchy = @RSRowe
I assume the clearance issue you are talking about is the rear? I think @PITA said it was close on one side, but apparently there was a video of a cup racer build on youtube with the same problem.

Me and @Big Ben both run Gaz golds supplied by Matt and not had any fitment issues..

I scrubbed once one the rear at Cadwell because the car was mega low and running 225/45 ar1 and et40 lol

As @suj says you may or may not get some clearance issues on the OSR. Mine was close but others have had to knock the panel in slightly.

Reactions: suj
Crunchy :tearsofjoy: I like it!

I think it’s less of an issue on the 200’s from what I’ve seen.
Me and 2 of my mates had issues with the OSR on our 197’s, whereas the 2 lads with 200’s did not.

The only other additional ‘issue’ I’ve had is having to shorten my track rods in order to get the toe right. But I do run the car mega low.

Here's the headache Matt has been facing, all driven because of the oil temperature gauge mentioned earlier in the thread. My fault I guess! The sender for the oil temperature gauge was a 1/8th NPT thread. Nope, I didn't know what that meant either.

The take off that we were trying to use was M14 x 1.5 thread. We sourced a M14 x 1.5 to 1/8 NPT adapter (you can find anything on the internet) and had to wait a week or so for that to arrive.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.11.00.png

When this arrived, Matt offered up the 1/8th NPT oil temperature sender to the adapter, and immediately realised that the length of the sender unit meant it would not even engage in the thread of the adapter:

ccb4f8c6-f7ea-40f1-95cd-111a6b966c5e.jpg6a89431d-941c-4832-927d-1d6f3131a1cb.jpg4f5b2cfe-5de2-439d-9f7e-2b86def3b020.jpg

After a bit of head scratching, we thought about trying a 1/8 NPT male to female extender, so again I found one on the internet and had it delivered to Supreme Motorsport:

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.17.50.png

Again, waited a few days for that to arrive, and when it was hooked up Matt ran into another problem. The original M14 x 1.5 adapter was threaded in such a way that once tightened, the 1/8 NPT outlet was right against the alternator. This didn't leave any space to get the adapter and pipework in. Whichever way it was tightened, even with PTFE tape and various thickness washers, it always ended up in the wrong place.

We then did what we should have done from the outset, which was to order a new thermostatic sandwich plate for the oil cooler. This has the 1/8 NPT female take off already threaded into the unit, so the oil temperature sender can be taken straight off the sandwich plate:

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.22.24.png

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.22.30.png

In hindsight, this is far better. Looking back, having an adapter, into an adapter, into a sender was just asking for trouble. It introduced 5 x more leakage points into the system. Now the gauge sender goes straight into the sandwich plate.

The bits are all with Matt now, but a consequence of all this cocking about is that work must go on elsewhere and R20 BTG has now been moved off the ramp in favour of other paying customers, which is fair enough. At the moment, I'm waiting for Matt to have ramp space and time to take the front end of the car off (again!) and install the new sandwich plate and wire up the gauge. Then it's a case of arranging transport back to me.

Similar Thread Suggestions