questionable Pricing Policy at Lookers UK

meg looks pre reg imo, i've also seen new clio 200T lux in LY with cup chassis for less than 20k

I visited lookers colchester when looking for a 250/265. They had that 265 at £29k and another 265 absolutely identical but 1 year old on 13k miles which was priced at £20,079. Apparently the £20k had been a managers car for the past year and when it hit 1 year old they ordered another identical one for sale but this one is also for sale.

Keep in mind that Renault have been offering all new meganes 'VAT Free' for a while now due to the new facelift coming out in Jan/Feb next year, I could get a brand new 265 with better spec than that for £26k. I asked if their car would come under the VAT free offer and was told no it doesn't because it's already been registered. So, they're offering a lesser spec car which isn't brand new for £3k more than a brand new factory order!!

I went to see the £20k one anyway, travelled quite a distance and the car was nice. Tried to talk about price and they wouldn't take a single penny off the list price, I said to them 'so you're just going to let me walk out of the door that easily?' and they simply said 'yes!' so off I walked. Had 3 calls over the next week asking if there was anything they could do to get me in the car again but by that time I'd already bought the new car.

Wouldn't deal with lookers again unless they had something priced competitively.

Yeah, some dealers have a shocking attitude. I once traveled over to England to look at Red R32 Golf. Car was what I wanted and in the colour I wanted but was overpriced. The dealer obviously sensing that he had a sale no matter what as I had travelled from Ireland to look at the car wouldn't budge on price. I walked and refused to even answer his calls over the next week. Car was still there 6 months later and was now a grand less than I had offered for it. By that stage I had decided to keep my Focus ST and modify it a touch.

I visited lookers colchester when looking for a 250/265. They had that 265 at £29k and another 265 absolutely identical but 1 year old on 13k miles which was priced at £20,079. Apparently the £20k had been a managers car for the past year and when it hit 1 year old they ordered another identical one for sale but this one is also for sale.

Keep in mind that Renault have been offering all new meganes 'VAT Free' for a while now due to the new facelift coming out in Jan/Feb next year, I could get a brand new 265 with better spec than that for £26k. I asked if their car would come under the VAT free offer and was told no it doesn't because it's already been registered. So, they're offering a lesser spec car which isn't brand new for £3k more than a brand new factory order!!

I went to see the £20k one anyway, travelled quite a distance and the car was nice. Tried to talk about price and they wouldn't take a single penny off the list price, I said to them 'so you're just going to let me walk out of the door that easily?' and they simply said 'yes!' so off I walked. Had 3 calls over the next week asking if there was anything they could do to get me in the car again but by that time I'd already bought the new car.

Wouldn't deal with lookers again unless they had something priced competitively.

This isn't quite true, vat free was only on group stock and excluded options.

When i asked which was quite early in the offer the cheapest car was over 25k and no 0% apr available.

Car dealers amaze me, I have a number of horror stories but I won't bore you with all of them. However....

Mid-2013 my fiancé's Clio (on PCP) was up for the 3 year renewal. We were actually quite keen on trading it in against a new shape clio. The Renault main dealer we visited were utterly hopeless. The car shop assistant wanted to sell us the new car at full list and expected us to take a trade in value well below the GFV. I politely explained to him that he needed to do better than this. He actually got quite affronted when I explained how much cheaper I could get the same car and where I could get it. D*ck. Seriously - do they think customers can't work google and check prices elsewhere?

Similar story in a Kia dealership in Crewe, same day, walked out having been 'this close' to buying a new Sportage. The salesman was a d*ck. We were sat there, keen to buy a car and he couldn't even be bothered to sort out a test drive. Just kept babbling on about how he needed to talk to the manager. We walked out.

On the way home we called in at a Hyundai dealership in Northwich (TWG) and the salesman we spoke to (Peter) was superb. We bought a new Hyundai Veloster with all the bits, cracking deal and fair trade in for the Clio (settled PCP and had money left over). 5 year warranty, 12 months tax etc. We dropped lucky on the deal, but it was the salesman's attitude that sold the car to us. He wasn't pushy, was happy to talk in real numbers rather than 'quids per week BS', and let us take the car out for an extensive test drive unaccompanied ("just bring it back when you get bored, I'll have your trade in valuation etc ready when you get back).

So yeah, bad Renault car shop assistant (I won't call him a salesman or dealer) resulted in us buying a far more expensive car from Hyundai.

True story

Last edited:
I've had 8 cars from Renault main dealers and 7 from the same one always been fine just my 197 from a franchise del was a nightmare

Sorry but as you pointed out this is not a Renault issue it the dealership.

Just go on Evans halshall and see if they give a toss, you walk in one and into another of theirs.

Regardless you still buy from them.

Sorry but as you pointed out this is not a Renault issue it the dealership.

Just go on Evans halshall and see if they give a toss, you walk in one and into another of theirs.

Regardless you still buy from them.

.....unless you get pi*sed off and buy something other than a Renault.

.....unless you get pi*sed off and buy something other than a Renault.

No, you have missed my point, you walk out of evans halshaw renault and walk into evans halshaw ford.

same for any dealer group in the area, they won't give a toss as they get your cash either way. only one that looses out is the manufacturer

9bakjc.png

30j5sg4.png