Question about long distance driving

bedoef

Platinum Member
I know this is a bit silly to ask, but I have never owned a car with such short gearing. I have a 200, and I am looking to possibly take her on a 10+hr drive on roads where the min speed is 140kph if you don't want to be a road hazard. Will the car put up with that kind of stress? Thats more than halfway up the rev band, I just was wondering if thats something the Clio can do for 10 straight hours.

Also, has anyone experienced cooling issues with long duration drives? (on relatvely low mileage 200s). I will have to drive with the AC fan on full the whole time, and ambient temps should be around 40C+, so I just want to make sure I dont end up stranded anywhere...

I drove all the way to the South of France in mine 900 miles give or take in one go and it was fine.
On the way back I had cruise set on 100mph for an entire tank of petrol without stopping.
Long distance driving is the least stressful type of driving for a car.

The car will be fine, you'll need to stop before the car :wink: for the toilet etc..

The cooling system is pretty good on the 200 and mine normally runs a bit cool. In high temps when abroad it has been fine; I wouldn't expect any issues.

took my car all the way to the Czech Republic last summer (1,200 mile journey) and as [MENTION=4323]Gez[/MENTION] said,i had to stop for breaks etc but the car help up perfectly...the car will handle that if everything else is 100% working...my AC broke in Germany and that was hell :evil:

Okay I am glad to hear it. I am going to take the car from Bahrain to UAE, which is about 1200 ish kms. Vast stretches of the road dont have support services, and apparently the last (about 2-3 hours) does not have a gas station. Just want to make sure I dont end up stranded in the desert in the middle of the summer.

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Car ought to be fine, but truth be told, there are cars id rather take on a 1200km drive across a desert with no stops :tongueout:

As Mentalpen sais, take some containers of fuel/water.

Should be fine. Doing that kind of speed constantly there will be plenty a cool air going through her and not much stress on the engine relatively compare to hooning it.

As everyone else said the car will be fine bud. I have been down to England and back a good few times and had no issues at all. Got 420 mile out a full tank wich was nice too 36 mpg. :wink:

I drove to fort William from Basingstoke and back in 3 days in my girlfriends Nissan micro 1L, around 1200 miles so I'm sure the clio will be fine

Similar Thread Suggestions