Pug 206 speedo question/help

....my boy has a 51 plate Pug 206 which runs ok. However, his speedo has just stopped working. Now I am probaly showing my age but I was expecting a cable to be in the back of it leading down to the gear box....but no...it's all electronic. Checked the fuses, but I can't work out which one controls the instrument panel and in any case the other dials and lights are working so it can't be that. Unplugged and cleaned the connections etc, but still not working.....just wondered if any of you petrol heads have had/worked on a 206 and had this problem? Help is greatfully received!

youll need to have a look on a few forums to see if its a common fault

but some cars now use the abs sensor wiring to provide the signal for the speedo

there are also some speed pulse senders fitted to the gearboxes - not sure what peugeot use to be honest anymore!

...thanks foxspeed.....thought you might respond to this....looking at the fuse list, there is a 'speed sensor' noted and it is on the same fuse as the reversing lights (which work)....so I suspect there's something in the gear box (?)....which sounds like a long and expensive fix, with the MOT imminent!!

Speedo isn't needed for the Mot!

As Si said though, there could be a common and easy fault on 206's, so don't despair.

...I always thought speedo was an MOT issue...is it illegal to use a car without one? I think it is which is why I am keen to get it sorted....the boy is a bus driver and needs to keep his lisence sweet....thanks for the link Foxspeed (Si)....

Nope, it is almost certainly required for homologation, police could fine you for it, but not covered by the MoT.

The MoT is a test of roadworthyness, not homologation specification. For example people talk about protruding wheels getting you into trouble with the MoT man, there isn't anything the MoT man can do, but the police can. Same with equipment like missing high level brake lights, retrofitted xenons, etc.

51 plate was the cahnge over for 206. Earlier ones run off sensor in the gearbox.
On the later ones they get the signal from the ABS ecu which multiplexes to the inst. panel.
Hard to tell what you would have as on the change.
Instrument panels are known to go on the newer ones..

51 plate was the cahnge over for 206. Earlier ones run off sensor in the gearbox.
On the later ones they get the signal from the ABS ecu which multiplexes to the inst. panel.
Hard to tell what you would have as on the change.
Instrument panels are known to go on the newer ones..

Car is registered in March 2001 but is definately pre face lift. I reckon it's in the gear box as its on the same fuse as the reversing light...which I would assume has a switch somewhere around the gear box...the instrument panel itself is fine as all the other dials and light work.......

MOT are great for little things like that. You fail an MOT for having an unworth spare wheel, but if there is no spare wheel you pass. You fail of the windshield is chipped within the drivers field of vision. But if you remove the windshield you'll pass. =D