Projector lights retro-fit?

Hi Guys, I want to buy what I think are referred to as projector lights (ones with the black inside bit). My car currently has the normal silver ones and I don't have headlight washers, basically I want to know if i can fit those projectors and if its legal? Not sure if they're Xenons

Cheers for any help!

Yes, you can retrofit projector headlights to your 197. They will still require halogen bulbs however unless you decide to do a HID conversion which some users have done after installing projectors. As for requiring headlamp washers, this is a legal requirement for car manufacturers. However i'm not sure if they're needed when installing HIDs in projectors.

Projector lights are a straight forward swap you just don't have the cornering light function. They use normal bulbs (not Xenons) H1 and H7 but I would always use valeo ones but if you buy them new you get no bulbs, level adjuster motors and bumper bracket that's riveted to the front of it so sometimes its better to get a used set as other Clio's models use the lights. If you are putting them on change all the bulbs as it is normally a bumper off to get new bulbs in the easy way. Other makes of projector light are available but the never show the connectors on the back and some just have wires hanging but for sure Valeo ones have the right plugin connector and have a quality name. Rough prices are new - light £120 , bulbs your choice, level adjuster motors different to normal lights only for projector model £30 and the bracket well you have to check with Renault or take from your old ones and a broken used set. Second hand £60 - £80 and you should only need bulbs. And yes there are two types of headlight depending on the bumper the tell tail sign is a notch on the newer style like Clio 200 where the bumper sits into the headlight and the straight bottom edge on the Clio 197.

Cheers guys, thats a great help! so basically I don't need headlight washers so long as i put halogen bulbs in them? And as for the cornering function, would that be a possible MOT failure if noticed?

Cheers guys, thats a great help! so basically I don't need headlight washers so long as i put halogen bulbs in them? And as for the cornering function, would that be a possible MOT failure if noticed?
You definitely wouldn't need headlight washers with halogen bulbs, you may not even need them with HIDs but it's best asking your local MOT centre as there's a lot of conflicting evidence on the net. The cornering function wouldn't be an MOT failure at all mate.

For the projector retrofit:

- Valeo projector headlights for LHD car, approx 270€ / pair.
- New halogen bulbs H1/H7

Can i use my standard light adjusting motors?
-- brackets too?

Or do i have to buy those from Renault?
Wiring loom straight fit?

I fitted projector lights to my cup and they were a direct swap.

I have blanks fitted were the fog lights go but the wiring was still there so I fed those wires to a cheap HID kit and fitted the bulbs in the cornering light holes.

Now when i'm blatting down country lanes I can turn my front fogs on and have a very bright set of lights spread over a wide beam. they don't work as cornering lights, that would require more wires and extra boxes i'm sure but sure helps when going quick.

For the projector retrofit:

- Valeo projector headlights for LHD car, approx 270€ / pair.
- New halogen bulbs H1/H7

Can i use my standard light adjusting motors?
-- brackets too?

Or do i have to buy those from Renault?
Wiring loom straight fit?

I just took the levelling motors off my reflector headlights and used those. They're the same. Then I drilled out the rivets on the brackets and bolted them to the new projectors.

I dont need cornering lights.. okay, so basically, only parts i need will be 2 projector headlights l+r side, + new set of H1+H7 bulbs.. :smile:
If i have time and patience, i may just do how-to article about changing projectors..

I am now looking new headlights. Is these numbers correct for LHD car?
088951+088952? I found pair price for 250euros (220£) + delivery.
New.

t_parts@0032@00828415@00212503603.jpg

Article Number
Article Status
Normal
Packing Unit
EAN
Trade numbers
Criteria
Model year from
Model year to
Doors
Driver Position
for left-hand drive vehicles
Left-hand / Right-hand Traffic
for right-hand traffic
Fitting Position
Left
Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info
without bulb
Vehicle Equipment
for vehicles with headlamp levelling (electric)
Supplementary Article/Info 2
without motor for headlamp levelling
Light Function
with low beam
Bulb Type
H1
Light Function
with high beam
Light Design
Halogen
Light Function
with bend lighting
Bulb Type
H7
Indicator Colour
Transparent

General
Article Number
Article Status
Normal
Packing Unit
EAN
Trade numbers
Criteria
Model year from
Model year to
Doors
Driver Position
for left-hand drive vehicles
Left-hand / Right-hand Traffic
for right-hand traffic
Fitting Position
Right
Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info
without bulb
Vehicle Equipment
for vehicles with headlamp levelling (electric)
Supplementary Article/Info 2
without motor for headlamp levelling
Light Function
with low beam
Bulb Type
H1
Light Function
with high beam
Light Design
Halogen
Light Function
with bend lighting
Bulb Type
H7
Indicator Colour
Transparent

Last edited:
@Antti O ... did a quick search. both 088951 and 088952 are for left hand drive cars. so i see no reason they shouldn't fit on your 197.

remember there will be no adjustment motor with them and the one from the normal lights are different I think the motor is around £30

For my UK car Clio 197 Projector headlights not discharge bulb (Not XEON)
upload_2017-1-28_15-2-41.png
On the Renault system I have made a mistake it looks like the adjustment motor is the same part number for the 3 types of non Xeon headlights so according to Renault your adjuster motors should fit the projector headlight but I am sure the motor looked different on mine maybe it was a new version of the same adjuster my loom fitted it anyway.

So maybe i just order those valeo headlights, and bang my head in wall if levelling motors dont fit? : P
But it is not a problem. When i change headlights i allocate 1-2 weeks for that project, i can order those levelling motors then if necessary. Is it difficult to drill that one bracket off from original headlights and bolt it in new projectors?

Should be easy to drill out the rivets 7703072337 4.8 x 20mm
d2e0912s-960.jpg
a60912s-960.jpg
The rivet has splits in the side so when it's crushed it peals like a banana because you are joining plastic and a normal rivet might break the plastic parts.

Okay.. i bought new units from Germany.
Genuine Valeo, without levelling motors. I have plan i will use original level motors from reflector lights. Total price including delivery was 209,20£ / 265eur for left+right units, not bad?

Maybe xenon hid kit for low beams? Do you have some recommendation?
Slim ballasts and canbus combatible?

Hauptscheinwerfer
137,20 € Bestellt: 1

Hauptscheinwerfer

Last edited:
Okay.. i bought new units from Germany.
Genuine Valeo, without levelling motors. I have plan i will use original level motors from reflector lights. Total price including delivery was 209,20£ / 265eur for left+right units, not bad?

Maybe xenon hid kit for low beams? Do you have some recommendation?
Slim ballasts and canbus combatible?

Hauptscheinwerfer

Hauptscheinwerfer

Good price that i say Antti !!!