Problem or 'normal'?

Car is fine in the mornings, park at work from about 8:30am until 4 ish, car isn't run all day.

Start it, runs fine. But try to drive up the hill from work and there is a severe lack of power until (to the extent of cutting out) pops once or twice then all is fine and dandy.

My trophy used to be similar, but not as bad. And was told be renault this is a normal characteristic of the engine. But the trophy was never this bad.

I have to drive up a hill as soon as i start driving from home and work and i have to drop into 2nd and it still only crawls up.
Until its warm its like driving a 600cc micra from 1983 with 250k miles on the clock!

Terrible when cold mate, its normal. There is a rev limiter on them too. Protects the engine when cold. They do sound nice when cold though!

I have this too, when i first got it it never did it, but then i moaned at ren about the kangarooing, they then told me they had done an ecu upgrade on it, and then it started doing this, as mentioned above i think its to protect it when its cold....

ive had this now and then, but in general, no hills. but was very rarely. i would probably say change your spark plugs, because since having mine done last year mine hasnt done it since.

As above mate, I had the ECU update and ever since its been short on power when cold. I live on a flat 30mph road with speed bumps so to be honest my car is always warm. Though the popping is new to me?

If it's still in warranty take it along to a Renault dealer to see if your car has had the ECU update.
The car is always going to be a little lumpy when cold, but the remap did help when I had it applied to my old car.

its the map renault put on to save us lot blowing the engines up, as these engines are highly strung, ragging the nuts off it when its cold would cause loads of issus, so to save their asses renult installed a cold/start up map

its the map renault put on to save us lot blowing the engines up, as these engines are highly strung, ragging the nuts off it when its cold would cause loads of issus, so to save their asses renult installed a cold/start up map

FACT :smile: ^

Think everyone has it the same, I try not to change gear too early when it's cold, the fact that you immediately have a hill to deal with just makes it more noticeable.

FACT :smile: ^

Think everyone has it the same, I try not to change gear too early when it's cold, the fact that you immediately have a hill to deal with just makes it more noticeable.

Very right! I have 2 ways to leave the estate I live on. A hill or a different hill! So I notice it more than some others would I'd imagine.

the esp turnoff doesnt help in my case, get used to it as its a normal behavior of this engine, possible cutoff made by renault, as mine does cutoff sometimes when cold, but I never thrash it when its cold, need to make a few miles than its warmed up decent enough to use the power, could use an oil temp gauge really, shame they didnt put one on the 200, even the saxo vts had one and that was years ago, dont really want to spoil the dash by putting an extra dial, but it would be useful no doubt

the esp turnoff doesnt help in my case, get used to it as its a normal behavior of this engine, could use an oil temp gauge really, shame they didnt put one on the 200, even the saxo vts had one and that was years ago, dont really want to spoil the dash by putting an extra dial, but it would be useful no doubt

I agree there. :smile:

the cold running issue is not there to stop you ragging it !

the rev limit when cold is similar to the 182 - ie it is in stages and not that low - try it :thumbsup:

it runs rough due to several issues - cat warm up from cold and also the heated lambda sensor - these two items are needed to get up to temperature quickly to meet emission regulations - like other engines the 197 will probably be running with quite retarded timing to help get the cat up to light off temperature 300+ c iirc - a balancing act renault have not quite got right ;/

example of 182 cold running rev limiter -

Max. engine speeds for a coolant temperature​
< 75°C 6,700 rpm

for a coolant temperature​
> 75°C in 1st or 2nd gear 7,200 rpm

for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 3rd, 4th or 5th speed 7,000 rpm

Last edited: