Probably aksed before but difference between 197 and 197 cup

nicfred

Gold Member
Maybe going to look at a 197 over the week end, they say it is a cup???
Is there a cup and a cup chassis?
Am i right or wrong thinking the cup does not have a push buuton start?
What else are the easy signs to tell if its a cup or not, are the springs a differnet coulour as well?

Any info for an idiot would be great :wink:

Any info for an idiot would be great :wink:

No need for that mate:smile:

Well, you are right, there is a cup and a ff (full fat) with a cup chassis. The cup hasn't got cruise control, start stop button, clima, it has a different dash and interior and generally speaking it's poor on extras therefore lighter. Hope that helps:smile:

Also harder plastic dashboard, unpainted side rubbing strips, no black trim on exterior door pillars, no electric mirrors, clear headlights instead of black inserts, no climate (air-con was optional extra)

normal ignition key (no hands-free)
better inner door pulls
red brake calipers
lower ride height
stiffer springs/dampers (200 has quicker rack and thicker anti-roll bar)
thinner steering wheel/plastic

This one has, push button start, red calipers, 2 buttons on the steering wheel on the left + - and right R O and i'm fairly sure electric mirrors.
he has changed the shocks as well.
Is the cup chassis only difference the shocks or is there anything else?
I guess if i do a vehicle check it will say cup?

This one has, push button start, red calipers, 2 buttons on the steering wheel on the left + - and right R O and i'm fairly sure electric mirrors.
he has changed the shocks as well.

Sounds like a FF model with Cup pack? any links to car?

With the cup chassis you get different shocks and springs as you mentioned but it will also have a different steering rack that's quicker lock to lock than a non cup packed Clio. Red brembos and anthracite wheels as opposed to silver on the non cup cars.

I doubt it will say if you do a vehicle check. When I did one on mine (a FF with cup pack) it just came back as a 'Renault Clio RenaultSport'.

Been to view the car, it has red brembo's (which he told me he fitted after he brought it) it has push button start, it has electric windows/mirrors, cruise, air con etc etc he has also fitted some different adjustable suspension to it.
He told me it was not a cup but a 197, would you still buy this if you were thinking of racing it in the new Michelin Clio series or should i try to find a cup?
Any help would be great.

Like I said in your other thread, I would just buy the single cheapest 197 I could find that had a healthy engine and gearbox. You're going to be ripping all the luxuries out anyway and changing the suspension so why bother looking at highly spec'd stuff that'll carry inflated prices!?!...

You will never use CC on track and I doubt you'll ever need to use AC either.