Poorboys Wheel Sealant and Bilberry

Just have a quick question, hopefully someone will know the answer.

I seal my wheels every few months with poorboys wheel sealant, and use diluted bilberry fairly often in between.

Just wondering whether the bilberry will be removing the sealant and I'm therefore undoing my work on the wheels??!

i would imagine so Adam,

i use Bilberry and planet polish wheel seal n shine mate, i use Bilberry probabally about 1 in 4 washes tbh.

Bilberry is a non acidic solution so shouldn't take the protection off. What dilution are you using?

On well sealed wheels you shouldn't need to use a wheel cleaner each time you wash the car.

Dilution is probably around 10:1, pretty weak tbh. I'm not using it every time I wash the car, just when the muck starts to build up after a bit of rubbish weather.

Found some poorboys spray and rinse in the cupboard today and gave that a go, wheels came up perfect with just a wash off from the jet wash, so pretty sure the sealant is still doing its job as the muck isn't 'sticking' to the wheel at all :smile:

I use bilberry on waxed wheels and dont have problems so i wudnt say so sometimes i use it neat too

Bilberry is a non acidic solution so shouldn't take the protection off. What dilution are you using?

On well sealed wheels you shouldn't need to use a wheel cleaner each time you wash the car.

It's non-acidic however it's the opposite end of the scale, it's an alkaline cleaner - which is just as strong as an acidic cleaner mirrored on the PH scale.

As you said though, if there is protection on the wheels then all you need is shampoo.

Most of what I have to say has been said, but.......

the answer to this is yes, it will take off the protection eventually. Clean your wheels properly with bilberry and properly seal them with PB WS and you should not have to use bilbery again for about 4-6 months or so, if u wash your alloys with a PH neutral car shampoo every week.

4-6 months is very optimistic from Poorboys Wheel Sealant though - it's okay, but won't last anywhere near that long.

Treat your wheels like you would your paintwork - they are just painted and clearcoated just the same, and are as delicate, but are obviously subjected to far more **** than the rest of the car.

One of the dedicated metal sealants like Blackfire Metal Sealant or Collinite 850 (a gem often missed!) is a great choice for wheels, and can also be used on a freshly polished exhaust. They leave a superb finish, and are designed to withstand the high temps, so are ideal for brake dust etc.

I find most of the dedicated 'wheel sealants' a complete waste of time - you're often better off just using a normal wax. Sealants work well too, so EGP for example, or Zaino Z2 or Duragloss 105.

With regards to Bilberry (or any wheel cleaner), yes they will degrade the levels of protection over time.

Suggest you pressure wash your wheels first to remove the majority of the brake dust, then hand wash them with a dedicated mitt and bucket and a decent pH neutral shampoo. Dodo Juice have a dedicated wheel mitt (Captain Crevice) which is very effective on the Clio's multispoke wheels.

.... Dodo Juice have a dedicated wheel mitt (Captain Crevice) which is very effective on the Clio's multispoke wheels.

**chuckles**

Im so childish :tongueout:

anyway interesting thread, I never really pay that much attention to my wheels on a wash, tend to just scrub em till there clean lol. May take some more care in the future... roll on the summer for a good clean!