Play in Steering Wheel - (Failed MOT)

Hello,

I have slight play in my steering wheel which led to a failed MOT.

Does anyone have as to what this could be and how I could go about fixing this? It feels as though something is loose within the steering column or steering wheel.

Thanks

could be tie rods, ball joints, or worst case scenario the steering rack. Surely the test centre told you which part had failed?

Thanks for coming back... They didn't specify the issue but will check the MOT Fail Certificate when i get back from work to be certain, i am sure it was something along the lines of 'excessive play in steering wheel'. The fault feels as though its at the steering wheel/column itself as there is some play and feels slightly loose. No issues with actual handling of the car.

I think its the center nut behind the airbag that needs tightening. Anyone know how to remove the steering wheel? Taken to the garage today and haven't been able to do it! Going to try myself.

I have had a look online and seems like you need to push a flat head screwdriver through the small key hole at the top of the steering wheel then pull on the the cover which removes the airbag cover. Does anyone have any more info or guide around how to do this?

Yea sign up someone has to pay for the admin's lap dances at Christmas dinner (now that was a joke), If the steering wheel is loose it can only be loose by pulling it towards you as it is fitted in a splined shaft and there cant be play in it from left to right even if the nut is not tight. To be honest I think you need to bite the bullet and get it seen to or the mot garage to show you the fault failing that get another mot and make them show you the fault. In Northern Ireland we have government run test centres and they carry out the MOT in about 15mins through a line of test stations in identical centres and they give you a print out saying inner or outer left or right track rod failure and is about £38 for a test do it early fix the failures and it cant fail next time normally on a retest they just check the failed part has been replaced.

Reactions: Big Ben and Jimmy