Piston Removal from front calipers

HarryJT97

Paid Member
Okay so I screwed up,
Whilst stripping my calipers today I was using an airline and a block of wood to remove the pistons, I did the first caliper fine and they all popped out nicely, but the second one I obviously hadn't positioned the wood correctly so one piston just came out and now obviously I dont have the air pressure in the caliper to blow the other three out, and getting the piston back in seems next to impossible as the seal is now facing the wrong way, anyone got any suggestions or am I just gonna have to keep struggling to get the first piston back in and try again,
Cheers :smile:

i used a set of pliers to get the other one out..if you are replacing all the seals,then you dont mind wrecking the one that's on atm..pliers and a flat screw driver did the trick for me..just be careful not to damage the piston..

Wet the seal with brake fluid to help the piston locate and move. This is a last resort but plumber pliers put some cloth around the piston to protect it and remove the seals for access only grab it on the pad side of the groove as it does not matter as much.
upload_2018-5-12_20-45-12.pngupload_2018-5-12_20-45-48.png

You could get motorcycle piston removal tool goes into the open end of the piston pushes on the inner wall which is safe and helps you turn the piston until is comes out still a difficult job but when they are cleaned up and the seals wetted with clean brake fluid the piston should move with just thumb pressure.
upload_2018-5-12_20-53-6.png
last chance is a flat head large screw driver remove the dust seal slip the blade into the grove put something on the inner face of the calliper to push against and lever them out better with long nose pliers as you get equal pressure still a difficult job
upload_2018-5-12_21-8-18.png

Reactions: Pav