Pionner SPH-EVO62DAB - 82DAB

Anyone thought about getting it installed ? Its one of the Carplay units with a separate screen so could be somehow aesthetically installed I guess... could install the unit inside the 1din and then the screen on the top of the dashboard...

Great idea but it's way to pricey for me... You'd be better off buying a Samsung tablet or something and hooking that up to a single-din head-unit.

I have a Pioneer head-unit with DAB, BT, all the other trimmings etc and it was only £99. Essentially, I reckon I could get a shit tonne more features by connecting a tablet to my headunit via AUX/USB or BT and still spend under £200 in total, including the cost of the head unit.

If you do go for it, please make a review/video as I'd be interested in what £430 gets you. Pioneer is great quality and well known brand, so I am keen on the idea, just not the price!

Reviews from Halfrauds look okay too:
*Long ass link to Halfrauds terrible website here*

Good idea, however there are really two options when it comes to double dins in the clio.

1) Modify the centre console to accept a double din unit. This would require moving the start/hazard/lock buttons and/or the climate controls. This has been done and you should be able to find pics of it on the forum/internet. If not I can try to find them.

2) Install the double din in the factory satnav housing. This also requires modification to the front panel. It's best to avoid this as the front panel curves inward slightly so if you cut it for a larger display, it doesn't look that great (unless you're a whiz with 3D printing/ABS plastic). You would also have to account for the length of the unit because if it goes too far back, you will need to extensively modify the rear panel. Getting all that wiring up there won't be easy either and would need the original loom to be extended.

This unit appears to solve the second and third issues but not the first. However there is no way of getting a unit with that screen diameter, let alone overall unit diameter/dimensions without modifying the front panel.

There are however several alternatives which make use of the satnav housing:

1) Install a car PC made with a raspberry pi, touch screen and your choice of car focused distros (plenty out there these days) which also have the ability to configure/use android auto.

2) Install a mobile phone in there with a wireless charger which is removable (i've done this and again, there are pics on the site), works best with an aftermarket headunit with bluetooth/rear usb ports.

3) Install a tablet with a wireless charger which is removable or permanent. This may require minor modifications to the satnav housing depending on the size of the tablet and works best with an aftermarket headunit with bluetooth/rear usb ports. There are a few videos on youtube of someone who has done this on a MK3 Clio.

That being said, if you can design/3D print a new satnav housing, then anything is possible really.

Seems cant travel anywhere anyway so this can easily wait until things settle down, but will keep an eye out if they have some discounts coming up,

Thought about having it installed, the screen just on top of the middle vents and the unit inside the 1din slot,

thats the only thing the cabin was missing imo, mostly for carplay use and sofar I have not found anything similarly usable other than some cheap chinese android units of unknown quality.

If I decide to get it done, I will surely let all of you know and post pics and a little review.

@DS197 I think the unit he posted (The Pioneer H/U) is actually a single DINN that allows the screen to be mounted pretty much anywhere you want...

The idea is great because this can utilize the single-din space in the centre but then hook up to the monitor/screen where the clock is placed. Of course, some modification for where the screen would sit but this wouldn't require to much effort.

I didn't like the cost of the unit, but in all honesty £430 isn't actually terrible and the reviews on the unit are 4.5/5. Worth a punt if you're not extremely technical or have a lot of time on your hands.

@DS197 I think the unit he posted (The Pioneer H/U) is actually a single DINN that allows the screen to be mounted pretty much anywhere you want...

The idea is great because this can utilize the single-din space in the centre but then hook up to the monitor/screen where the clock is placed. Of course, some modification for where the screen would sit but this wouldn't require to much effort.

I didn't like the cost of the unit, but in all honesty £430 isn't actually terrible and the reviews on the unit are 4.5/5. Worth a punt if you're not extremely technical or have a lot of time on your hands.
Yeap, double din screen with the brains in the single din which can be mounted anywhere but there's only two ways to mount it so it looks OEM+. I've seen people mount tablets on the dash with magnets which looks totally naff but I realise not everyone is as picky as me!

The satnav housing looks big but trust me there isn't a lot of room to play with behind the front panel. More so if you want to keep the seat belt warning light.

£430 isn't bad price if you've got a car where it's plug and play, but that's not the case with the Clio. There are much cheaper alternatives (but not necessarily better), especially if you've got an android phone.

Nonetheless it's good to see people do something different on their cars and i'd certainly be interested to see the progress of this systems installation.

@DS197 Quite right. Was it you that did the mod for the android phone insert where the SatNav/clock screen was? IF not then my bad - but whoever did it, it looked brilliant.

I have seen on youtube somewhere of a lad who did something similar but had it hooked up to a mic and a small controller board with a few buttons on it. Then he used some custom software on a Pi of some sorts to make it boot with the Renault logo and everything - it was pretty mental but so much time went into it, I don't think I could be arsed!

@DS197 Quite right. Was it you that did the mod for the android phone insert where the SatNav/clock screen was? IF not then my bad - but whoever did it, it looked brilliant.

I have seen on youtube somewhere of a lad who did something similar but had it hooked up to a mic and a small controller board with a few buttons on it. Then he used some custom software on a Pi of some sorts to make it boot with the Renault logo and everything - it was pretty mental but so much time went into it, I don't think I could be arsed!
Yes mate that was the first version I did, the second one I did a few months back is on here somewhere too.

I've also seen that video and it looks good. You can get Linux distributions that have been designed for using the tablet in a car dash where you can configure boot logos etc. The whole scene has really come along in the last few years and it's not as difficult/time consuming to do.

Reactions: Frank Perry
Found a few pics of the 82 installed in a Megane Mk3

pioneersphevo82dab_megane2.jpg

pioneersphevo82dab_megane3.jpg

pioneersphevo83dab_megane.jpg

Similar Thread Suggestions