Pinch Bolt Part Number or Replacement?

ChrisLu

Paid Member
Hi,

Getting my brother to replace my lower ball hub joints and reading a lot of threads and comments about cutting the pinch bolt.

Now just incase he needs to cut this. anyone know the product code for the replacement ? or link me where sells them? i believe they are (12.9 M8 x 40 cap heads) Can anyone confirm if these are full thread or half? or show me a picture what they look like?

just want to make sure he has everything

It would have to be a 12.5 grade bolt Rentune sent me 2 bolts Allen key cap ones with the ball joint I bought years ago I'm guessing I used the short one as a direct replacement the bracket is threaded on one half so if every thing when wrong the hole could be drilled out the longer bolt put through and a thread lock nut on the outside. The longer bolt seems M8 50mm with 28mm thread on the end. As for removing the original bolt it's guaranteed it will not unscrew unless it was copper greased before hand so it will need heated and I mean the map gas £85 type with a good period of heat or the better option bring it to an engineering workshop untouched if you cut it in the middle you have nothing to work on to free the threaded part. One tip here before starting undo the upper ball joint bolt as it is hard to hold the assembly to undo it after removed from the car and the free 4 wheel bearing Trox bolts make sure your brother knows it's not a normal Clio setup
upload_2018-12-27_14-4-27.png

Thanks :smile: , bit expensive for a bolt thought, gonna look for alternatives.

It would have to be a 12.5 grade bolt Rentune sent me 2 bolts Allen key cap ones with the ball joint I bought years ago I'm guessing I used the short one as a direct replacement the bracket is threaded on one half so if every thing when wrong the hole could be drilled out the longer bolt put through and a thread lock nut on the outside. The longer bolt seems M8 50mm with 28mm thread on the end. As for removing the original bolt it's guaranteed it will not unscrew unless it was copper greased before hand so it will need heated and I mean the map gas £85 type with a good period of heat or the better option bring it to an engineering workshop untouched if you cut it in the middle you have nothing to work on to free the threaded part. One tip here before starting undo the upper ball joint bolt as it is hard to hold the assembly to undo it after removed from the car and the free 4 wheel bearing Trox bolts make sure your brother knows it's not a normal Clio setup
View attachment 130750

Brother works in Mercedes as a mechanic so access to heat or tools is no problem.

i found m8 x 50mm head cap bolt 12.9 on this site for 22p each (https://www.accu.co.uk/en/cap-head-screws/16114-SSC-M8-50-12-9) - this ok??

just looking at the nuts https://www.accu.co.uk/1065-locking-nuts - any idea on the nut? does it need to be specific ?

Last edited:
If you get it out with the threads in tacked you not need a nut but a shorter bolt but at the end of the day it's a pinch bolt it cant go anywhere so a locking nut and washer should do the torque is not high just copper grease the bolt so it's easier removed next time.