Pin kit needed for fitting new brake pads ?

i got new brake pads for my car but i have been told by renault that i also need to buy a pin kit for the calipers becouse these are usually seized in and sometimes brake or bend when removeing the pads.Does any1 else know anything bout this ?

I have recently serviced my front brakes and also heard stories of seized in caliper pins. When i did mine i made a small aluminium punch with a countersunk hole so it located on the pin and minimised the chances of it slipping off the pin and damaging the red paint on my caliper.

The pins came out very easy, i just cleaned the pins up and gave them a smear of grease on reassembly.

Had mine changed earlier this year at a dealer, and exactly that happened, took them out and the pins had snapped in half. I didn't believe them so drove over and made them show me, it can happen from time to time unfortunately :worried:

replaced pads on 5+ 197/225 now - so far never had any defeat me :wink:

you need a good pin punch - and also tap with hammer round where they go through the caliper and when you hit them - give them a proper crack with the hammer and should come straight out

the pins are about £29 for a pair - http://www.worldsaparts.co.uk/clio-197/braking-and-clutches-1/front-caliper-pin-kit-brembo-1.html

and you need 2 sets !!!!

once removed clean them up and a bob a bit of copperslip on and should be fine

had many sports cars always change my own pads, never had to buy new pins.
The clio ones were in a bit tough though, but fine to reuse.

I would not recommend reuse.

The reason they snap in two is because they are hardened. You should replace them everytime, as you risk 'damaging' them from impact. Naked eye not good enough to detect signs of internal damage to pins.

Is it really worth reusing pins that cost £29? Think of the increased risk of failure, and the consequences of failure, vs the cost to remove the risk.

Madness.

I would not recommend reuse.

The reason they snap in two is because they are hardened. You should replace them everytime, as you risk 'damaging' them from impact. Naked eye not good enough to detect signs of internal damage to pins.

Is it really worth reusing pins that cost £29? Think of the increased risk of failure, and the consequences of failure, vs the cost to remove the risk.

Madness.

snap - no they dont - they bend ! i dont even think they are "hardend" to be honest - changed quite a few now and had no issues

they are £29 for a pair - you need 2 kits to do the pads - so £58 for 4 steel pins.....not exactly a bargain

had no problem with mine yet . as foxspeed has said in previous threads keep them well maintained and they should be fine !

Ok, my opinion is from an engineering background.

A previous post had said they had snapped, which suggested they were hardened.

P.S If you ever change the discs, i.e. remove the calliper, then I believe they use stretch bolts. Those would definately need replacing!

calipers not held on with stretch bolts as far as i know

Dont know about stretch bolts but i know that renault documentation will state nearly all the time that bolts must be replaced if removed especially bolts that are under pressure or holding important stuff like brakes or steering racks.....

Which is fine when there been replaced under warranty(cause they can be stupid money) but most arent replaced outside of warranty and they last for years or never give trouble....

Also brake pad sets from renault usually contain clips shims etc if renault think there important enough to be replaced each time

mine were seized and had to be replaced, so bad they damaged the caliper a little, doesnt look new anymore...... it is no problem if you change pads every 6-12 months, but mine has covered 40000 miles on the OEM set of pads!!!!.... so that means 3 years without anyone touching the brakes.....

Dont know about stretch bolts but i know that renault documentation will state nearly all the time that bolts must be replaced if removed especially bolts that are under pressure or holding important stuff like brakes or steering racks.....

Which is fine when there been replaced under warranty(cause they can be stupid money) but most arent replaced outside of warranty and they last for years or never give trouble....

Also brake pad sets from renault usually contain clips shims etc if renault think there important enough to be replaced each time

197 front pads from renault dont have any clips / pins - £58 extra for them :'(

mine were seized and had to be replaced, so bad they damaged the caliper a little, doesnt look new anymore...... it is no problem if you change pads every 6-12 months, but mine has covered 40000 miles on the OEM set of pads!!!!.... so that means 3 years without anyone touching the brakes.....

....and thats why i keep banging on about yearly brake strip and clean

@Foxspeed what size pin punches did you use please?

I don't know the size (as I have had parallel punches for years) but I start it off with a bigger round flat ended to get it moving, then you want the correct size so it will fit into the hole / length that will guide it out.
Just buy a set of good quality parallel punches and you'll be good to go.

Yea a long 4mm punch better if it has a concave end or drill the flat face so less chance of it slipping off the pin and damaging the caliper.

Reactions: funMACHINE
Do you think this kit would be ideal? It's been in my watch list for ages but I haven't needed to change the pads until now...