Pads and disc, are these okay?

Did silverstone track day on 8/11/2019, amazing day!

At the end of the day my brakes were taking a hammering, admittedly I was staying out too long and not letting car cool down much in the afternoon. I just couldn't get enough, so much grip and fun.

Had braking judder through the steering wheel was really bad. Brakes didnt work at 110mph down the straight at one point, plenty of tarmac run off so no drama, they just took ages to work. Came into pits after this.
Checked the brakes and discs today, both stock. Are these okay? I had 600 race fluid in the car.
20191116_141847.jpg 20191116_141819.jpg 20191116_141803.jpg 20191116_141725.jpg 20191116_141715.jpg
Going to get ds1.1 pads soon, but how are the discs?
Also when jacked and after spinng the wheels I could hear the brake pads hit the discs, so will need to do a caliper rebuild soon.
Lastly i really struggled getting the pads back in, thing the pistons were sticking out abit which meant I struggled to get the pads back in, had to tap with hammer....

Did you recently change the pads but not the discs? I ask because in the photos of the discs it looks like there is a decent lip to them, so have you checked their thickness? I believe min thickness is like 26mm on the standard discs.

Other than that, the surface of the disc itself looks okay to me, hard to tell from the photos if there are any deposits, but it doesn't seem to have the telltale banding and noticeable high spots. If you can take a couple photos looking square at the full disc, not from above. Pads look fine to my eyes.

I bet you just overheated the discs and they couldnt do much for you.

For the sake of 70 quid, you may aswell change the discs..... also, change the fluid too if you haven't recently.
Standard pads are definitely not up to the task of track driving, but I would say your failure was because you boiled the fluid.

And you're meant to push the pistons back when you change pads

Motul 600 was put in before the track day, that I made sure having read horror stories of brake peddle just going to the floor as fluid had boiled.

For the sake of 70 quid, you may aswell change the discs..... also, change the fluid too if you haven't recently.
Standard pads are definitely not up to the task of track driving, but I would say your failure was because you boiled the fluid.

Ahh that's good then I used a hard piece of plastic to push the pistons back as far as I could.
Fluid was changed before hand to motul 600, made sure this was done as didnt want fluid boiling.

Did you recently change the pads but not the discs? I ask because in the photos of the discs it looks like there is a decent lip to them, so have you checked their thickness? I believe min thickness is like 26mm on the standard discs.

Other than that, the surface of the disc itself looks okay to me, hard to tell from the photos if there are any deposits, but it doesn't seem to have the telltale banding and noticeable high spots. If you can take a couple photos looking square at the full disc, not from above. Pads look fine to my eyes.

I bet you just overheated the discs and they couldnt do much for you.

Thanks for the reply. Service history shows the pads and discs were changed 2 years ago 10k miles.
I'll check the thickness tomorrow.

Tempted by bedford on the 14th decdmber and not sure if i can get pads and discs done both before hand.

Pads and discs look OK to be fair. Like said if you are planning more trackdays I would upgrade pads, discs and get HEL braided lines.

Reactions: Tomc197

The question is what did you feel when you lost the brakes. Was the pedal going to the floor? Was it firm, but no braking at all up front? Did the rear of the car squat? Grinding noises?

In any case, the stock pads really will not handle more than a couple laps before they are toasted. If you really enjoy track day driving, pads and fluid are a must to keep everything working well.

As said get new discs if you’re getting new pads. Brembo HC discs are sufficient. DS1.11’s will be great as front pads. Putting cars on track is expensive!!

The question is what did you feel when you lost the brakes. Was the pedal going to the floor? Was it firm, but no braking at all up front? Did the rear of the car squat? Grinding noises?

In any case, the stock pads really will not handle more than a couple laps before they are toasted. If you really enjoy track day driving, pads and fluid are a must to keep everything working well.
Pedal didnt go to the floor, it bit high up but near didnt slow the car down like normal.

As said get new discs if you’re getting new pads. Brembo HC discs are sufficient. DS1.11’s will be great as front pads. Putting cars on track is expensive!!
Yes I'll get the HC's as well as the pads. Something I wish I tried sooner, always been really good at go karting or quad biking with friends or colleagues. But the track experience was something else! Brakes and pads then some tyres next year

Pedal didnt go to the floor, it bit high up but near didnt slow the car down like normal.

Sounds like you either overheated the pads or the discs. Either way, as Big Ben pointed out, DS1.11 and the Brembo HC discs are a great combo for track days. Just back that up with some good brake fluid, and make sure you do cool down laps, and you should have any braking issues!