Original paint quality

What's the quality of the paint like on your Clio??

Just bought the wife a 197, I know the front bumper has been sprayed (albi blue) but looked over the rest of the car and the paint quality is c**p and there's no way the whole car has been sprayed.

Our 182 is a little better, but my TT is almost perfect by comparison!

Ianboom.

My 200 is a bit orange peely but nothing too bad. Certainly not as bad as some of the BMWs I've seen recently but also certainly not the best i've seen.

Thanks for thr replys.

I did an apprenticeship at Land Rover back in the 80's and spent several weeks in the paint shop-unfortunately, this made me a bit over critical of paint work on cars (the red Range Rovers made in the late 80's were dire, orange peel was a polite way to describe them!).

I may be over critical of the paint on the Clio, I intend to clay bar it over the next few days, but a brief look showed nibs in the paint. Not many but a few. The 200 I had was white and had excellent paint, but then again, I never went over it that closely. I know Renault switched to water based paints in the past, may be something to do with this??

The albi paint is quite orange peely, and like I said, there are a few paint nibs, probably 2 or 3 a panel. You have to look really closely, but I suppose I am hoping someone will say there's is the same and make me feel better!!!

The TT's paint is very flat and I found 2 nibs on the whole car.

The 182 is better than the 197, but not as good as the TT!!!!

Ianboom.

Why not?

They carry a 7 year paint and perforation warranty...

Read T&C's relating to Paint Warranty Willis.

Not a chance of it covered and unlikely to get a good will gesture imo.

I've never looked into them to be honest mate, I suppose it depends to what they consider to be a defect etc. like you say.

As long as they cover my bootlid for where they've mounted the screen too low then I'll be happy!!! :smiley:

Ye paint/corrosion warrantys need to be checked i think every year like having a service to carry the warranty, 99%of people never have it done.

Rick

ps, it wont have anything to do with waterbased paint.

I think it is actually only 3 years on a 197? Sure it was on mine but if it was too orange peel I think you have 3 months to pull it.

Ye paint/corrosion warrantys need to be checked i think every year like having a service to carry the warranty, 99%of people never have it done.

Rick

Mine goes in next thursday to have some paint sorted on the INSIDE of the tailgate, the three sevice stamps in my service book did not have the anti corrosion check box ticked and i was a little worried about this putting in the claim but all was fine and a claim was ok'd.

I think it is actually only 3 years on a 197? Sure it was on mine but if it was too orange peel I think you have 3 months to pull it.

The dealer i used seemed to think it was a 12 year cover but i have since found out it is 7 years on my 197.

My R27 was shocking compared to my 06 Campus Sport mk2.

I hardly had to do any paint correction on my old MK2 but on the R27 i was forever trying to keep on top of it!

Rick

waterbased paint? tell me more...

at work my white car suffers pretty bad from industrial fallout where as my mates scooby hatch (all so white) shows very little signs of it,its removed relatively easily with decon gel but i'm just wondering if this could be the reason i have to paint correct more than him

at work my white car suffers pretty bad from industrial fallout where as my mates scooby hatch (all so white) shows very little signs of it,its removed relatively easily with decon gel but i'm just wondering if this could be the reason i have to paint correct more than him

Is only the colour thats water based it will still have a 2k lacquer over the top.
I was going to sudgest it could be down to the hardness of the lacquer but from memmory the scooby wont be much harder than yours, its the german stuff thats harder.

rick

Is only the colour thats water based it will still have a 2k lacquer over the top.
I was going to sudgest it could be down to the hardness of the lacquer but from memmory the scooby wont be much harder than yours, its the german stuff thats harder.

rick

ah ok mate cheers

Decon gel?? is it the same decongel that the military use to mop up Chemical and nuclear material? Very trick stuff...