optimax or momentem 99

Wondering if anyone else bother to use these.

Been trying these and it appears to be a bit nipper and a bit better on fuel.

Still not great on fuel though -I thought Id get 30mpg average.

I seem to average around 26mpg
on a run to cornwall keeping it at 70-75mph
I got 32-33mpg on base unleaded
On the way home got 34mpg on super
That was 4 up though and lots in the car.
Is this normal the cars had done 1000 miles
cheers
Scott

I get 24mpg out of mine normal everyday driving and about 34mpg on the motorway at 73 mph (on the cruise). So i would say normal yes. Not the right engine 4 fuel economy.

It's more likely getting better as the new engine is loosening up, rather than fuel.

I'm of the opinion it is pointless on an N/A car unless you're advancing the timing to take advantage of it.

It's more likely getting better as the new engine is loosening up, rather than fuel.

I'm of the opinion it is pointless on an N/A car unless you're advancing the timing to take advantage of it.

I would have thought the ecu would be clever enough to advance on its own and recognise the higher octane fuel
I know on some cars they do this but not sure on renaults ?

Maybe, most are hard set to a certain degree for the most commonly available octane, which would be 97 in our case and 'knock back' when they detect poorer quality/octane fuel.

To advance it usually requires mapping, it doesn't auto-advance, although I'm sure this is possible and some manufactures use it? Be interesting to find out if it is on the Clio. More likely on serious turbo applications I'd imagine, as they really take advantage of higher octanes.

For example, I ran a Moonshine*/V-Power mix in my Golf and had to manually advance the timing to suit its effective (being conservative) 102 Octane... it did fricking love it though!!!

EDIT - it isn't really right for me to mention specifics on blending fuels in case someone tries it without doing research and gets it wrong.

Last edited:
I would have thought the ecu would be clever enough to advance on its own and recognise the higher octane fuel
I know on some cars they do this but not sure on renaults ?

it does !

the clio runs something like a 11:1 c/r so has knock sensor protection but will advance to the point of knock and retard - keeps doing this to run at maximum efficency - so higher octane the better (in theory) !!

haha! bet thats made Mikes day, I know the ECU's can usually adapt but i always asumed that the limit would be on around 97 octane or less as in manycountrys thats all you can get. pretty nifty feature,

Pete

...I never use anything less than 99 octane...definately get more mpg and better performace....smells better too if you have the window (and your foot) down!!!

lmao momentum is shell vpower branded differently. remember when they blockaded the shell oil refinary? did you notice there was no "super unleaded" as it was called back then?

I have been experimenting with momentum for the last however long it has been out, and same performance.

I have filled up the car this tank with fuelsave - what a load of tosh!!! Right down now to 25mpg from 30mpg with momentum/vpower :smile:

Vpower is more expensive than Momentum and is the same, and with clubcard points... :wink:

Always run momentum(just the old super 99 re-branded),the mpg will get better as the car gets more miles on it!especially if you do a 5k oil change

Momentum isn't quite the same....

V-Power is definitely 100% 99octane petrol, I'm pretty sure BP Ultimate is 100% petrol too.

All other stuff, Momentum included is 97 Super blended with 5% bio-ethanol to up the octane to 99 as a tax scam (as duty is less on bio-fuels), they also buy it cheaper at pre-additive stage so it doesn't have the same properties.

If you remember a while back when loads of cars broke down after using supermarket fuel, that's why, they got the blend wrong and added too much ethanol - it either eats everything rubber/plastic in the fuel system or if it makes it long enough, destroys the lambda.

I only know this because there's lots of people in the turbo world using ethanol as an octane booster and you can only safely do it with V-Power because it has none in and therefore you can ensure the ratios are correct and safe.

I'm researching auto advancing now to see if the Clio will take advantage of it, although it'll be to a lesser degree of gain... but very cheap power.

Very reputable tuning company (motorsport orientated) did a direct comparison using a subaru between v-power and momentum.

The car produced an average of an extra 4bhp with the momentum fuel.