Opinions on H&R's

HONEST opinions on the 40mm H&R springs please. These will be going on my 197 ff.
They make the car look 100x better, just wanting to know how the ride compares?

coilovers or nothing mate. I heard they make it like a sponge cake

I would rather save and pay 800 - 1200 for a decent set of coilis than spend £250 and be dissapointed :smile:

I'd go with that. I was toying with the springs for my Cup. I had H&R coilovers on my last 197 and loved them. Now getting the itch to buy some again...........I just know i'd be disappointed with the springs. Lower too much on the standard shocks for my liking.

I was thinking of getting the Eibach springs very soon but now you've gone and ruined it!

Are they really that bad, i mean surely they just lower the car a bit and leave the handling characteristics as was, no?

Nah, no point comparing coilovers to springs cause theres £600 -£800 difference in cost. Plus setting up costs...It would would be like comparing matched inlets to a set of cams, both gonna give you improvements but huge difference in how much it costs to get you it.
All depends on what you plan to use the car for, the type of driver you are and how deep are your pockets or balance on your credit card.

I've run H&R's for 5 months on cup shocks. Spring is hard and suited to track and probably european roads. It loves big sweeping bends but maybe a bit choppy for uk roads. I wasn't sure till when I went to 18's and now there are perfect. Coliovers are great but lets be honest....80% cars on them never see a track, only adjusted once (and most are set up badly) and wouldn't out perform a good street shock\spring set up for the road. Still the best compromise but only at the right money. I'm just keeping my eyes on 'for sale' section but ultimately still got lots to spend before going down that route.....

Eibachs are a superb progressive spring but weren't low enough for me. The clio needs a significant drop (cause they sit so high standard) and even though theres not much difference, 5-10mm in suspension terms is a lot....

Last edited:
Cheers for the responses!

Ive trailed through many threads tonight, and i have went ahead and ordered a set of H&R springs!

Hopefully they are what im after!

Nah, no point comparing coilovers to springs cause theres £600 -£800 difference in cost. Plus setting up costs...It would would be like comparing matched inlets to a set of cams, both gonna give you improvements but huge difference in how much it costs to get you it.
All depends on what you plan to use the car for, the type of driver you are and how deep are your pockets or balance on your credit card.

I've run H&R's for 5 months on cup shocks. Spring is hard and suited to track and probably european roads. It loves big sweeping bends but maybe a bit choppy for uk roads. I wasn't sure till when I went to 18's and now there are perfect. Coliovers are great but lets be honest....80% cars on them never see a track, only adjusted once (and most are set up badly) and wouldn't out perform a good street shock\spring set up for the road. Still the best compromise but only at the right money. I'm just keeping my eyes on 'for sale' section but ultimately still got lots to spend before going down that route.....

Eibachs are a superb progressive spring but weren't low enough for me. The clio needs a significant drop (cause they sit so high standard) and even though theres not much difference, 5-10mm in suspension terms is a lot....

Thanks, very insightful.
What wheels you got on there (got a pic?) they do look good on that tiny pic!!!
I'm in the process of getting new wheels too but wasn't doing to go for 18", should i??

Cheers for the responses!

Ive trailed through many threads tonight, and i have went ahead and ordered a set of H&R springs!

Hopefully they are what im after!

Thanks, very insightful.
What wheels you got on there (got a pic?) they do look good on that tiny pic!!!
I'm in the process of getting new wheels too but wasn't doing to go for 18", should i??

The wheels are Compomotive Mo's. Expensive wheels (£900) but got for a good price on fleebay. Mixed views on here about wheel size (but doesn't every forum). If your about staying close to OEM then stay with 17's, however, I think standard wheel looks great and well suited to the car. The car is quicker on 17's but on the road its small percentages.

For me a lowered clio on 18's is the best compromise for looks and performance. Others may see it different but although I value peoples opinion, ultimately its how you want the car to look and drive....heres another pic of mine on H&R's and 18's, for what its worth......

Last edited:
....heres another pic of mine on H&R's and 18's, for what its worth......

I think thats a great combo, looks great with LY.
Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful.
Do you have a progress thread, i'd like to see your car from different angles before i buy springs and wheels!!!