Oil leak around timing belt area - where's it coming from?

Was in for a service the other day and it was noted that there was an oil leak from the timing area.

They think it is coming from a camshaft seal?
any of the experienced folk on here care to comment before I start to take bits off to get a closer look?

It had the belt done at renault when they replaced the head so would like to avoid another cambelt change if possible.. but I guess a camshaft seal would = belts n all? Pics attached you can see some oil collected on the top of the bottom half of the inlet.

edited to add more pics

Attachments

• IMAG0237.jpg
    IMAG0237.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Thanks - I don't think is cam cover bolts, see new pic added. it looks too far left and too low down.

There is quite a bit just in front of where the alternator is.

i'm pretty sure its the cam cover bolts mate,mine was the same when i bought it

they leak a fair bit a weep oil down the front of the engine and into the lower plenum

mine was fixed under warrenty but if not then use this stuff,really good gear

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0064M6A6G/?tag=clio197-21

i just extracted the bolt in question,put some sealant under the head and jobs a googun

I can't see any coming from the cam cover bolts. Mine had that issue fixed under warranty once and there was more oil on top and in the holes on top. I would love it to be this tho as is an easy fix as you say

I can't see any coming from the cam cover bolts. Mine had that issue fixed under warranty once and there was more oil on top and in the holes on top. I would love it to be this tho as is an easy fix as you say

there's bolts under the inlet plenum that you can't see,its hard to check them without removing it

is it still under warrenty?

Nope warranty expired , I will remove the plenum and take a look. Do I need to replace gasket if I do that?

it's nothing to do with the bolts, it's where the cover itself seals to the head. very common issue on older Clios, and seeing a few more 197's like it now

Sounds like I need to get in there and take a closer look.So what's the fix Danny? Not likely to be cam shaft seals as Renault say ? If its a cambelt off job again, when can you book me in?

it's nothing to do with the bolts, it's where the cover itself seals to the head. very common issue on older Clios, and seeing a few more 197's like it now

lets face it,there's no way of telling where its coming from without removing the plenum....all i can say is it was the cam cover bolts on mine and many others

So took a closer look today removed the upper inlet. It's not coming from the bolts. It might be coming from between the head and cover, a small bit has collected in the left front corner as in the pic. I've cleaned most of it upnow and will keep an eye over the next few days ..