O/s driveshaft advice needed

Hi all, I noticed a clicking noise coming from the front of the car on the weekend.
I managed to get up onto my friends ramp, and it’s play In the support/ intermediate bearing on the o/s driveshaft.
The rest of the driveshaft doesn’t look to be in great shape.
My question is do people recommend changing the entire shaft? And is there an aftermarket one available that’s of a decent quality. Or Is it a case of changing the bearing and servicing the cv joints?

Thanks Chris

I can help you here the CV boots genuine for the outer joint is £40 or so and to fit you need to remove the shaft I bought a complete left and right shafts the left was £120 and the Right was £135 NTN SNR DK55.103 and DK55.098 had difficulty removing the left shaft as with the subframe in and the curve of the gearbox housing I found it hard to get leverage between the gearbox and the shaft to get it to pop out as pulling at the end of the driveshaft was not enough to get the job done but after some deep thought and with the right amount of rage and prybar the main problem was I did not know the amount of force required. So if you need a boot you will probably need a CV joint and that's around the £75 and then there is the other end of the shaft to do so change the shaft they seem to be refurbished originals with new joints and boots at both ends.

Reactions: Clio chris 197
@turkie172 any chance you can see the part number on the inner boot? Mine says NTN 64487, however googling this sends me on a wild goose chase of similar boots that aren't quite the right size. I'm guessing NTN SNR have changed the part numbers. I'm tempted to buy the whole driveshaft, but want one last stab at finding the right boot if I can save over £100 doing that!

Yea the true way is to measure but that involves pulling the shaft and at that point your stuck until you get the part I found pulling the shaft I found I did dent the metal shield needing leverage but when I looked for parts and the chance that if the boot was damaged the joint might need replaced the tools for crimping the boot straps etc. and going through the same amount of work getting a refurbished shaft and a clean swap was the better option.
1707138425653.png

You have to break the joint to fit the boot unless you stretch the boot which means cones or other tools and the risk of damaging the new boot and back to square one.

Thanks turkie, and yeah I've looked at those part numbers, but I think thats the wrong dimension? I measure the OD of the driveshaft tri-lobal end at 69mm, whereas that one for IBK55.014 you posted is 73mm.

I've been in touch with NTN SNR and they have given me the new part number for what they think is the right boot (IBK55.018)... I'll update once I get it and let you know if it fits!

I ordered a whole driveshaft (£140 off autodoc), as well as the boot, just incase the boot doesn't fit I'll cut my losses and replace the whole driveshaft.