NS-2R vs R888R in the wet

av4625

Paid Member
Anyone got any experience?
I started doing sprints with NS-2R's and I just couldn't get the corner speed that other seem to have.

I got some R888R's and they are unreal.

I'm going to a sprint at the weekend and it looks wet. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with tyres in the wet? The NS-2R's have more cuts so could get rid of more water but they are harder.

Anyone got any experience?
I started doing sprints with NS-2R's and I just couldn't get the corner speed that other seem to have.

I got some R888R's and they are unreal.

I'm going to a sprint at the weekend and it looks wet. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with tyres in the wet? The NS-2R's have more cuts so could get rid of more water but they are harder.
I aquaplaned on 888, on the gemmel straight at Spa, spun several times, missed the barriers. I also ran the 2Rs, and in the wet, would prefer the 2Rs.

Reactions: av4625
I'd imagine the NS2R'S are going to be marginally better in the wet than the toyo's. I have NS2R on mine, but I've not used mine on track etc.

I've driven with them in the pouring rain on the roads and they're okay, but not brilliant in the wet. But I didn't expect them to be [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: av4625
I thought there was a chance the nankangs would be better. They aren't even close to the R888R's in the dry though.

Your problem with both of these tyres is heat, or more to the point lack of it. If you had been circulating for 10 minutes before it started to rain you stand a chance or if you are doing a longer distance where you have time to actually get some sort of heat in them then you again can get on alright. The 888, being softer, is generally considered better in the wet. Rain however sucks heat out of rubber, you will be better of with a tyre designed for wet, such as has been said, the RainSport. If not, then literally put 40 even 45psi in your Nankangs. You will focus to load more on the tread, particularly the centre and heat it more. You will be on a knife edge of grip though.

Your problem with both of these tyres is heat, or more to the point lack of it. If you had been circulating for 10 minutes before it started to rain you stand a chance or if you are doing a longer distance where you have time to actually get some sort of heat in them then you again can get on alright. The 888, being softer, is generally considered better in the wet. Rain however sucks heat out of rubber, you will be better of with a tyre designed for wet, such as has been said, the RainSport. If not, then literally put 40 even 45psi in your Nankangs. You will focus to load more on the tread, particularly the centre and heat it more. You will be on a knife edge of grip though.
Thanks for the info, is more pressure usually the done thing in the wet?

Very much so.
I assume plasticine is still a thing, but all that stuff like Blu Tac starts out hard and you knead it to soften in and make it sticky. It is the squidging it (and the heat from your hand) that gives it the heat. If you run tyres soft, the main deflection occurs in the sidewall. So the heating effect occurs there and while this will build heat in the carcase, thus increasing pressure, it is doing nothing for the tread which is where you need the heat. Inflating the tyre will make it stiffer (as well as open up the tread) meaning that the load goes more into the tread, heating that. The downside is that you take compliance out of the tyre meaning there is less forgiveness in it. You would fully expect to soften the suspension and other things as well. Sprints are notoriously difficult as they are short and things rarely come to equilibrium. Bottom line however is, unless your race rules state you have to, then neither of these tyres would be your choice as a wet tyre. And yes, even with Rainsport or similar you would still use a higher pressure for wet than you would for tyres in the dr

Very much so.
I assume plasticine is still a thing, but all that stuff like Blu Tac starts out hard and you knead it to soften in and make it sticky. It is the squidging it (and the heat from your hand) that gives it the heat. If you run tyres soft, the main deflection occurs in the sidewall. So the heating effect occurs there and while this will build heat in the carcase, thus increasing pressure, it is doing nothing for the tread which is where you need the heat. Inflating the tyre will make it stiffer (as well as open up the tread) meaning that the load goes more into the tread, heating that. The downside is that you take compliance out of the tyre meaning there is less forgiveness in it. You would fully expect to soften the suspension and other things as well. Sprints are notoriously difficult as they are short and things rarely come to equilibrium. Bottom line however is, unless your race rules state you have to, then neither of these tyres would be your choice as a wet tyre. And yes, even with Rainsport or similar you would still use a higher pressure for wet than you would for tyres in the dr
Thanks for all the info again, this is my first year having a car on track and I'm trying to learn everything :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions