200: No service history

I've been looking at a 59 plate 200 which is mint apart from kerbing to front wheels :thumb1:
it's got 26k on it but the seller (trader dealing from home) doesn't have any service history.
I was thinking of buying it and getting a full service done and buy an aftermarket warranty for piece of mind - am i crazy for buying with no history or is it worth the risk on a low mileage car?

I've been looking at a 59 plate 200 which is mint apart from kerbing to front wheels :thumb1:
it's got 26k on it but the seller (trader dealing from home) doesn't have any service history.
I was thinking of buying it and getting a full service done and buy an aftermarket warranty for piece of mind - am i crazy for buying with no history or is it worth the risk on a low mileage car?

I've bought in the past without history, depends on price really mate I guess and how the car looks, feels and has worn it's age

Personally I wouldn't risk it. There are lots of cars on the market at the moment, and if it has problems down the line you'll regret buying it. It should have had at least 2 services by now. It might be worth ringing Renault and see if they have serviced it?

Such a new car to come without service history. As M88ke C says it might be fine and the previous owner might be a true enthusiast, mechanic etc but do you want to risk it really? I agree with deadmau5, too many cars on the market at the moment to choose from:smile:

Has it actually been serviced? Providing there are receipts showing the work or parts used and it's been done using renault parts as well as recorded in the hand book I would probably be ok with it. Would still expect the price to be keane, not dirt cheap but not top pennys :smile:

Just remember that when you do come to sell a potential buyer will think the same, oh why wasn't it serviced before 26k? Could be harder to shift should you ever want to sell

Well the car is up at £9800, it's a FF with cup pack, white, sat nav
The seller said he didn't have the service history but i guess it will have had at least 1 or 2 services and might be traceable through dealers?
It will be 3 years old on sunday so i was gonna buy it tommorow and get the extended warranty online before midnight when the 3 year one runs out but i don't think renault will extend a warranty on a car without FSH will they? might do though but not pay out on a claim?

Wouldn't have thought so. They'd just say neglect.

Personally I'd get him to trace the history. If he wants to sell the car that badly he'd do it...10k is a big gamble.

Keep looking and find another car.

Nobody is buying these cars second hand at the moment. Which is good for you, it's a buyers market, so use that to your advantage and drive the price down on this one using that fact and the lack of history as leverage. Or find one with history and drive the price down on that equally... If you're cheeky and stubborn you could get a bargain between now and the end of the year.

Don't be scared to walk away from a car if its not right.

You'll end up with buyers remorse.

Plenty more fish in the sea. I know you'll want to get it ASAP an drive her but seriously, you'll regret it if she turns out to be a sack of spanners.

Definately get one with service. People that look after their cars WILL have serviced it at some point whether it be main dealer or garage down the road. As said, plenty more out there that will have evidence of love!

Well i've decided against that car but have seen 2 Cups
1st has black speedlines, air-con,21k and FSH with warranty till december
2nd has Recaros, 17k, black wheels but just gone over 3 years old

on 1st car i was offered a great p/x price on my car which would mean the Cup works out at £8995 (from a trader)
Still waiting for a price on my p/x on the 2nd car

Are Cups worth a lot less than FF 200s?
apart from keyless, climate, front fogs, rear speakers, marker on top of steering wheel, colour coding what are the other differences between Cups and FF models?
Can front fogs be fitted to Cups (is wiring already in place and do the fogs just bolt in place?)

Cups will have stiffer suspension and a quicker steering rack. Again, depends on what you want from a car as to which you may buy.

Well in the end i bought a 2010 Corsa VXR - nice looking car but after 3 weeks i'm not enjoying it, don't know why but it just doesn't feel right (great Recaros though).

Now tempted to buy a 200 in white as i should have done in the first place - anyone else gone from a Corsa VXR to a 200?

Well in the end i bought a 2010 Corsa VXR - nice looking car but after 3 weeks i'm not enjoying it, don't know why but it just doesn't feel right (great Recaros though).

Now tempted to buy a 200 in white as i should have done in the first place - anyone else gone from a Corsa VXR to a 200?

A lad I used to work with did the same thing. Went from a Punto T-Jet to a Corsa VXR and within 6 weeks he'd traded the VXR back in. He just didn't take to the car at all for some reason, he was happy at it being quick and happy with the interior etc., but for some reason that he couldn't put his finger on he just didn't get on with it and missed his Punto... He's now got a Focus ST. I told him to get a 197 in the first place but he never listens!!! :smiley:

There's at least one person on here to go from VXR to 197/200, I remember reading about it...