Nissan Nismo outsales clio 200.....

Outsold by the Juke Nismo by 3 to 1? Oh dear. So it's been outsold by the Juke, a car which the Clio beats in every road test. I'd hate to see the sales figures compared to the Fiesta. I imagine it's beaten the 208 GTi though. I haven't seen an EDC or a GTi on the road yet, but I've seen at least 5 Jukes and probably 20 STs.

There were 3527 197s sold before it was replaced by the 200. If the new car doesn't beat that it must surely be deemed a failure as the justification for a slightly softer, less hardcore Clio was to increase sales. It appears to me that Renault's market research team don't know what they are doing.

Didn't realise the Juke had a six-speed manual. I hope Renault see sense and bring, say, a Gordini version of the 200T out with manual 'box, 230bhp and an LSD :thumbsup:

Renault have cocked up with the 200T. It's a nice car in its own right, but lacks the purposeful stance of the 197/200. I just don't get it, and I'm probably not alone.

The 200T might be technically an improved car, but I'm not going to pay £20k for something I don't really like the look of.

I was talking to a Renault dealership mechanic at a track day once. He reckoned that at one point, Clio 197 spare parts were hard to obtain because Renault were using them to build cars - such was the demand at the time.

I anticipate cheap deals.....

i think that is happening to all cars.
for example the golf has not looked hard core enough since the R32 the latest R golf looks nothing special, don't like all these modern round cars.
also think the ST is too high and narrow.

the above is why i decided to get a 197 F1 before we lose the driving experience completely.
no manual option is terrible, but engine noises through the speakers that was the icing on the cake.......

its abit like comparing chalk to cheese, ones a cross over the others a hot hatch. another pointless comparison test

Not really. Renault have made the 200T to appeal to a much wider market...the sort of buyer who traditionally would have gone for the Juke but never considered an NA 200 as it's simply too compromised for most people.

With the 200T, they're trying to catch that exact buyer...so it's a totally fair comparison in my opinion.

IMHO it all comes down to price nowadays and £20-23k for a Clio is a joke.
I'll wait 3 years and get one second hand for under 10k.

Think i'd have to agree with Ryan, two different markets.

People buying the clio in my opinion would be likely to track the car, people buying a Juke wouldn't. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
i can see where your coming from, i still think is a crap comparison, different markets different cars, its all down to what people what out of car, people arent going to go for a clio if there after a big car, no matter how many doors it got.

People buying the clio in my opinion would be likely to track the car, people buying a Juke wouldn't. That's just my opinion.

agreed, but if they targeted the track users market then why make it more user friendly

I'm confused with this comparison? Since when did the sales figures of a Juke and a Clio compare? When i was looking to buy I certainly didn't look at a Juke..

agreed, but if they targeted the track users market then why make it more user friendly

Track users wouldn't be solely their target market, i just think if someone was going to track a car out of a 200T and Juke it would be the first. Other than the 5 doors i don't see hows its been made hugely friendly? Softer ride? Cup option is still available.

But paddle shift i wouldn't say is user friendly, alot of sports/super cars have the paddle shift now days, its just technology moving on (plus is easier on a track with paddles).

172/182/197/200's all with screaming N/A engines and a bumpy ride appealed to a smaller target of the hardcore Renault Sport enthusiasts. Not people who worry about badge snobbery EG: won't buy a french car but people just after that hardcore car for driving thrills and smiles per miles.

There is barely any (if any) hot hatches left now with N/A engines, all seem to be moving down the charged route. Renault have then followed suit to appeal to that wider audience rather than a niche market and lowering emissions at the same time.

I believe someone at Trax was saying about Nissan buying Renault and so the technology in the 200T is all nissan stuff (perhaps the reason the 200t and Juke have been compared). Still, think its unfair comparison between a SUV/Crossover and a hothatch. Fair comparison would be the Fiesta ST which has already been done.

For the previous generation 200, I'd agree with you 100%.

This one though? No. If it was made to appeal to the traditional hot-hatch buyer they'd have given it a manual 'box and firmed it up more similar to the older 200 to appeal to the more hardcore driver.

I'd be surprised if 10% of the people considering a 200T would ever take it on track. For the last Clio 200, that figure was probably closer to 40-50%.

Similar Thread Suggestions