Newbie 200 Ownership Questions

Hey all,

3rd RenaultSport but first 200 so naturally I have some (probably stupid) newbie questions regarding this model. Any answers will be appreciated!

• Are the Dephaser pulleys an issue on these like it is the 182's? I know they have a Dephaser but in-sure if its a redesigned model.

• On cold start the engine sounds whiney for a bit till it starts to warm up, I am sure I remember this with my old 182 being normal but please say if its not meant to sound like this.

• I am not sure if 1 or more engine mounts maybe worn as when coming on and off acceleration or dipping clutch at high RPM it feels like the engine is moving. Anyone know a better way to check if a mount has gone?

• Finally the coolant temp gauge, the needle rises like normal but it then moves between the red and blue marks slightly shown on the below example. Is the needle meant to move or is it meant to rise to the blue mark and stay there? kinda thinking it shouldn't be going up and down and maybe a issue there:
Screenshot_1_zpsydcnmhuf.gif

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Cant help you with the first questions but my Temp needle does the same its always moving up and down between those marks when driving.

Also I can't help with the questions other than the last but to re affirm what @onslow says, my temp gauge does the same. Highest it goes is to the same point, especially if stationary or stop/start traffic but soon as car is moving steadily it dips back down to your lower mark.

Edit: Actually thinking about it I think mine is slightly whiney on startup but can't say I've noticed it enough to cause any concern personally

Cant help you with the first questions but my Temp needle does the same its always moving up and down between those marks when driving.
Also I can't help with the questions other than the last but to re affirm what @onslow says, my temp gauge does the same. Highest it goes is to the same point, especially if stationary or stop/start traffic but soon as car is moving steadily it dips back down to your lower mark.

Edit: Actually thinking about it I think mine is slightly whiney on startup but can't say I've noticed it enough to cause any concern personally

Thank you both for confirming the temp needle query! much appreciated!

Hey all,

3rd RenaultSport but first 200 so naturally I have some (probably stupid) newbie questions regarding this model. Any answers will be appreciated!

• Are the Dephaser pulleys an issue on these like it is the 182's? I know they have a Dephaser but in-sure if its a redesigned model.

• On cold start the engine sounds whiney for a bit till it starts to warm up, I am sure I remember this with my old 182 being normal but please say if its not meant to sound like this.

• I am not sure if 1 or more engine mounts maybe worn as when coming on and off acceleration or dipping clutch at high RPM it feels like the engine is moving. Anyone know a better way to check if a mount has gone?

• Finally the coolant temp gauge, the needle rises like normal but it then moves between the red and blue marks slightly shown on the below example. Is the needle meant to move or is it meant to rise to the blue mark and stay there? kinda thinking it shouldn't be going up and down and maybe a issue there
Thanks in advance!
Tom
  • Dephasers aren't as bad as the ones on the 182s, but some have been known to fail, people usually replace them with the Cambelt just as a precaution (I myself did and know a few others on here who did, whether this is necessary is debatable)
  • Depending on what sort of noise it is, it could be the PCV valve, see this thread to give it a clean and see if the noise disappears
  • The OEM engine mounts aren't that great, so if there's a lot of engine movement it's probably because they haven't been upgraded. A lot of people change to powerflex upper torque arm bush, which is easy to check you've got fitted, it looks like the pic below located to left of engine (if it doesn't look like this I'd highly recommend fitting one :smile: hZXvUtf.jpg
  • My engine temp needle moves between these two temperatures occasionally, the blue part you've said it where it goes when my engine is fully up to temp, and it sometimes goes down to the red line when I'm cruising on the motorway at 70 (I'm assuming because the cold air cools the whole engine down)
Hope these help! Any more questions please ask away :thumb:

Last edited:
  • Dephasers aren't as bad as the ones on the 182s, but some have been known to fail, people usually replace them with the Cambelt just as a precaution (I myself did and know a few others on here who did, whether this is necessary is debatable)
  • Depending on what sort of noise it is, it could be the PCV valve, see this thread to give it a clean and see if the noise disappears
  • The OEM engine mounts aren't that great, so if there's a lot of engine movement it's probably because they haven't been upgraded. A lot of people change to powerflex upper torque arm bush, which is easy to check you've got fitted, it looks like the pic below located to left of engine (if it doesn't look like this I'd highly recommend fitting one :smile: hZXvUtf.jpg
  • My engine temp needle moves between these two temperatures occasionally, the blue part you've said it where it goes when my engine is fully up to temp, and it sometimes goes down to the red line when I'm cruising on the motorway at 70 (I'm assuming because the cold air cools the whole engine down)
Hope these help! Any more questions please ask away :thumb:

Thanks for all that! Very much appreciated. Got some bits to go on now [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all that! Very much appreciated. Got some bits to go on now [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries mate!

You got much planned for the car then? :smiley:

Also just to add, if you don't mind extra vibrations in the cabin, the general consensus on the forum is to upgrade two engine mounts; poweflex upper torque arm bush (as mentioned in my earlier post), and the poweflex lower engine mount inserts.

I'm running these and the engine is fully locked in place so the power delivery is so much smoother accelerating quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom163
To be honest I have some basic little niggly things to sort before I start tuning but I do have some ideas but still have to look into whats available and what not first. I will eventually get a project thread up too :smiley:.

In regards to the engine mounts and locations and I correct in thinking your refering to the lower engine mount above as the dogbone one?

I beleive (maybe wrong) there are 4 engine mounts in total, 1 cambelt side, one near there which is a torque arm, a gearbox mount and a dogbone under the car. Can you confirm if this is correct?

Thanks again.

To be honest I have some basic little niggly things to sort before I start tuning but I do have some ideas but still have to look into whats available and what not first. I will eventually get a project thread up too :smiley:.

In regards to the engine mounts and locations and I correct in thinking your refering to the lower engine mount above as the dogbone one?

I beleive (maybe wrong) there are 4 engine mounts in total, 1 cambelt side, one near there which is a torque arm, a gearbox mount and a dogbone under the car. Can you confirm if this is correct?

Thanks again.
That's correct mate

resize_image.php?image=Diag_2881.jpg

Reactions: Timbo

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Clio 200 Area 6
E New Members 15
RhysThomass New Members 11
chrisw91 New Members 12
Malachi New Members 29