New tyres on front or back ?

matt9566

Paid Member
Probably a dumb question but I'm due 2 new tyres on the rear, had some Eagle F1's on the front a steady few thousand miles ago, there is plenty of tread left - they are practically new.

Is it worth putting these on the rear and the new ones on the front when I get the rears replaced as I know the rears wear a lot slower on FWD cars ?

Also I think I got them when they were Asymmetric 2 but now they're Asymmetric 3, does this matter ? Will they still be pretty much a matching set ? I've seen them for £88.99 each fitted on kwik fit, if anyone knows anywhere where they have seen them cheaper could you please let me know.

edit** Last question I promise, does it matter if I get the XL ones if the ones I've got on the front aren't. They're the same price as normal so I thought I might as well if there will be no problem..

Thanks everyone!

Its worth putting them on the rear to even out the wear - end of the day it will be the garage doing it not you.

I changed from Asy2's too 3's and my rears are still 2's. Will be fine.

Reactions: matt9566
That price seems good. Wouldn't worry if 2's or 3's mine are mixed. I would go for XL though as they have quite a soft tyre wall in the first place

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I'd love to know your guys thoughts on this too.

Personally I thought would make more sense to put new on front n swap the ones you got on the front for the rear.

However, with working for Michelin, I found out from the guy who fits our service tyres that Michelin's stance on this is the opposite, to leave the fronts as they are, and buy new tyres for the rear. Even on FWD cars....something to do with you driver have gotten used to the steering of the car on the tyres now, so would overcompensate for new ones, which is nuts to me as if that was the case, then when the fronts need replacing, you have to put new on and counteracts what they just said.

Plus he said that you should keep the new ones in the rear for stability which I also think is bull...if you lose the back end with no grip you have more chance to steer into the skid with grippy fronts as opposed to losing the front...well then you're just ####ed.

I can kind of see Michelin's point, however they are in the business of selling tyres, so go figure :wink:

I'd always prefer the newer tyre on the front, especially with FWD. Not only do you have the power and the steering going through the front wheels, but the majority of the braking too. Makes sense to me.

I was in the same boat as you with the Asy 2 and 3, there really is no worry with having a mix on, mine have been fine.

Reactions: matt9566
have read a few other posts where other road users recommend putting new tires on the rear..to me it doesnt really matter cause im sure i wont oversteer any time soon :sweatsmile:

Front for me. Call me sceptical but you put new ones on the rear and guess what 6 month to a year later you will be buying tyres again. To me keeping all the tyres the same make/tread pattern is more important.

IF i was merely buying a pair - i would go against (seemingly) common and modern logic; and put my fresh rubber on the front of the Clio.

Yes i've read the above articles, yes i understand whats written and yes i see the point. Im just choosing to ignore it.

....and have done so for years. Which covers both when it was "in fashion" to put new rubber on the rear; and when it wasnt.

And personally i've managed to stay rubber side down in both periods despite some spirited driving.

Clearly obvious i know better :smile:

Reactions: ///M
I have done exactly the same ..new rubber on the front..just wanted to give you some more opinions...:thumb:

Asy 2's on the front, moved to the rear with approx 6mm tread left, 2 new Asy 3's on the front approx a month ago. Should wear evenly and nothing noticeably different in grip or performance. The Asy 3's have impressing me just as much as the 2's did. XL load rating all round

the new on rear old on front will be to make sure the car understeers on corners the "safest" option...

Interesting conversation. I'm looking at it exactly like Shuv. Yes I understand why it's better for MOST people to do it that way. But given the cars we're driving, you'd hope that most of us have a modicum of skill and feeling behind the wheel. Let's also bear in mind that the advice given is to cover a worst case scenario where someone has brand new fronts and almost shagged rears. "I just can't understand it, I just lost the rear..." I'm sure us lot wouldn't be that daft.

I'd also hope that we'd be able to drive around a bit of oversteer and not drive like a knob in poor conditions.

should be fine on the front as long as the rears have a decent amount of tread depth. Imo it's more to do with "aquaplaning"

Finally got the tyres sorted, new ones have gone on the front.

Good service from Kwik Fit, I chose to go into the centre this time as I wanted the wheels swapping round, they were really well priced considering it included fitting etc. Did have to pay £10 for the rears swapping to the front though - I thought they might have been kind and done it for free (maybe I'm just tight haha) but not to worry.

Can't actually believe how long the rear tyres have lasted, they were only budget ones that came on the car and I've had it around 2 and half years now and they weren't brand new - I didn't realise I'd had the front Eagle F1's on over a year and they're as good as new, maybe I just don't drive the car hard enough lol. For reference I only do around 6000 miles a year

Can't wait for some dry sunny weather to give the car a good run out now I have a full set of quality tyres, recent ball joints and track rod ends replacement.

Reactions: fireheed and Jimmy