New Owner - Clio 200 - Improving the Sound?

Newish here - recently bought a 2010 200 FF/Cup as a 'fun run-around'.

Very pleased, but finding the exhaust/engine note is a little too bland.

There are hints of a 'growl' in the upper rev range, but interested to know how to enhance it slightly:

- Don't want it to be 'noisy' or 'loud'
- Don't want it to be tedious on longer runs
- Don't want anything too invasive
- Don't want anything too costly
- Not necessarily looking for performance gains
- Just want a bit more 'character'

Did a search, and the ITG filters seem popular, but what's the best option, £ for £ ?

thanks

Last edited:
Hi mate, welcome to the site, I have a milltek which sounds great but doesnt tick your boxes in price or the drone at 70 on long journeys, I do a lot of miles every week but I have learned to ignore it.. Lol

Also got an itg but fitted that the same day as the milltek so couldn't.comment on the different sound it makes.

A few lads have had their center silencer removed for about £40 and have been pleased with the results

Having the centre silencer removed adds a nice rasp to it, and as Fernandez has said only cost about £40. Does add a little to the flat spot though :/

From what I've heard the ITG doesn't really aid much in the noise department, in fact some people claim it doesn't do much in any department other than you don't have to replace it come service time.

Having the centre silencer removed adds a nice rasp to it, and as Fernandez has said only cost about £40. Does add a little to the flat spot though :/

Hey dude, what do you mean " add a little to the flat spot "

I'm in the same boat really, I haven't got the funds just yet to replace the exhaust system, but wouldn't mind a good roar :smile:

:thumbup:

Get centre box cut out, only cost me £30, and sounds awesome wrasps and bangs at will, does add to the flat spot between 2-3k but if your gunning it you don't notice it as your always above that rev range.

Oh and if you got a remap it goes a long way to curing it.

Get centre box cut out, only cost me £30, and sounds awesome wrasps and bangs at will, does add to the flat spot between 2-3k but if your gunning it you don't notice it as your always above that rev range.

Could you possibly get a video to show the difference? Also are you using a stock exhaust system?

i found this if its any use..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBLj3OPOPo&feature=related

im interested in having it don also but is it easy enough to have put back on?? i had a mega blueflame exhaust on my old car and do miss the noise but dont want to spend 1500 on an exhaust again lol!

I've had mine off and asked the guy as he did it whether it was reversible if I didn't like it, he told me it was easily reversible and would be cheaper than the £40.00 he charged to take it off as well.

At first I was considering getting it put back on because it sounds a bit 'tinny' but after a while this went and sounds really nice now, much deeper sound and pops quite a lot when cold

Yeah I agree

I'd get a cat back system I would. For me the silencer removal sounds to tinny and raspy. All what you like at the end of the day though!!

Be certainly getting a KTEC system in the near future!!

Mine sounded like this after the centre silencer was removed;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X065zVA55Fw

I now have the K-Tec system and 200 Cell Sports-Cat, similar noise, but deeper. Unfortunately I've not had time to get a decent video since it went on, but I'll try and get one over the next few days. :smile:

I have an ITG Panel too, can't say it made much audible difference but it did seem to help the throttle response a little... In my head at least, I have no physical proof that it made any difference to be honest, it's hard to notice on NA cars with things like that but it has to be better than the paper jobbie.

What are the issues with MOT's after removing the centre silencer?

I think they're ok tbh. A guy on here who used to have a racing blue 197 (username Dotty, now has a Citroen C2 and I haven't seen him on here for a while) was one of the first a long time ago to have the silencer removed. I don't think it makes any difference MOT time because it's the noise as opposed to the gases and it is only at higher revs you can hear the difference. So normal driving is fine. But I was standing at the side of the road when we went to Wales and he booted it off the petrol station forecourt and honestly it sounded amazing! Couldn't believe it when he said it cost him £30 and was going to have mine done. Never got round to it in the end.

If you search for Deako's threads on here, there are quite a few vids he posted up of his Gordini with this done.

I just rolled up to exhaust place and said could you chop that box out and stick a piece of stainless pipe in please, £30 later and I was a very happy man lol!!

No problems with mot.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S New Members 6
craigkitch New Members 4
R New Members 8
D New Members 6
joehodges154 New Members 3