New owner - a few niggles.

I have only ever driven one 197 and have never owned a Clio previously to two weeks ago, so I have nothing to compare it to when it comes to the drive and the experience.

I just wanted to run a couple of things by some more experienced owners to make sure I don't have a dud.

Basically, I'm only getting about 20-22 urban/town miles to the galon - is that normal? My friend's Toyota gets about 30, and I think 5-series BMs get about 40+. 22 seems a little...thirsty!

Secondly, and I know this often comes up, but there's a hollow knocking sound coming from the rear which does not go away when the engine warms up. Can be heard when lifting off throttle occasionally, and at low speed. Any likely culprits - I heard it could be the exhaust mount?

Also, when in about 3rd gear just driving slow at about 2k RPM then applying some beans, there's a good couple of seconds delay until you get the kick. I'm finding the torque low-down is a bit weak? Am I driving her wrong?

Thanks, all. What do you think?

Martin

Hi Martin.

1. Mpg, I'm not sure on. I normally see 33 mpg that's a mix on a roads and town driving. Has it been serviced recently?

2. Exhaust mount, boot lock are the normal ones

3. Most members on here have reported feeling a flat spot between 2 -3k in lower gears. A remap can help the flat spot.

Hi Martin.

1. Mpg, I'm not sure on. I normally see 33 mpg that's a mix on a roads and town driving. Has it been serviced recently?

2. Exhaust mount, boot lock are the normal ones

3. Most members on here have reported feeling a flat spot between 2 -3k in lower gears. A remap can help the flat spot.

Exactly that.... :smile:

My average on the display is around 27, they can be thirsty cars but watching the fuel gauge drop rapidly means you're using it properly... :rofl:

Do you have a standard exhaust? A lot of aftermarket ones can knock.

The flatspot is improved with a map, don't expect major gains but it is worth it just for the better response. Sometimes when cold the car will also "kangeroo" from set off, for the Clio this is entirely "normal" :worried: you'll know when it happens. Switching off traction control can help.

Don't let that put you off, its a fantastic car that rewards greatly once you settle into it. :thumbup:

1. Your not driving a toyota or a 5 series bmw, its high performance engine, you want any higher mpg drive like a granny or buy a new car.

2. Check exhuast mounts.

3. Thats a flatspot which is normal, you learn to drive round it.

Martin, without sounding rude, can I ask a question....

Was there a reason why you didn't drive others? With this sort of car it is always worth learning what you are getting yourself in to. They are like a wife. They want your money, your time and your soul, but will rarely give you love back. However, when they do, they are one of the best rides in the world for smiles per gallon.

Give it time, you'll find the sweet spot

Cheers all. I wasn't expecting to get high mileage per gallon - I didn't buy this car with economy in mind at all! I just needed to know that it's returning what it 'should' that's all.

Fernandez, yeh I have noticed the bouncing throttle on start, but I expected it.

Was there a reason why you didn't drive others? With this sort of car it is always worth learning what you are getting yourself in to.

I love the wife analogy. M, I didn't drive others because I didn't wanna go around driving other peoples' cars as I had no insurance to do that. I didn't' even drive this one to tax it; the guy took me.

In the end, I took it on trust from a dealer who sells lots of performance cars and on the basis on service history, which this one does have. Maybe I did it the wrong way as you suggest, but I'm not too worried - these niggles are oft-reported and don't indicate a bad car.

Anyway, this was the first time I have actually researched, haggled, and purchased a car myself :wink:

Cheers all. I wasn't expecting to get high mileage per gallon - I didn't buy this car with economy in mind at all! I just needed to know that it's returning what it 'should' that's all.

Fernandez, yeh I have noticed the bouncing throttle on start, but I expected it.

I love the wife analogy. M, I didn't drive others because I didn't wanna go around driving other peoples' cars as I had no insurance to do that. I didn't' even drive this one to tax it; the guy took me.

In the end, I took it on trust from a dealer who sells lots of performance cars and on the basis on service history, which this one does have. Maybe I did it the wrong way as you suggest, but I'm not too worried - these niggles are oft-reported and don't indicate a bad car.

Anyway, this was the first time I have actually researched, haggled, and purchased a car myself :wink:

No criticism bud.. It's always worth driving yourself though as you may find that it just isn't for you. I hope you enjoy it though

Exhaust mount, boot lock are the normal ones

Don't forget the parcel shelf, mine bangs like a skeleton having a w*** in a dustbin.

I keep meaning to get some foam or something to stick to the plastic that it sits on, but I keep forgetting.

i also have the rattle, 1 from exhaust and other from inside boot lid. Exhaust one isnt too bad but boot one is starting to drive me crazy.

Would i change for any other car at the mo - most def not.

The best solution to the knocking would be to have the boot latch adjusted.

Alternatively wrap abit of electrical tape down and around the latch (looking at an open boot). It takes the play out of the latch and mine hasnt made a sound since.

Don't forget the parcel shelf, mine bangs like a skeleton having a w*** in a dustbin.

I keep meaning to get some foam or something to stick to the plastic that it sits on, but I keep forgetting.

:rofl:

Sound advise has already been given mate, if you want to enjoy the performance of the car you've got to keep it revving nice and high :smile: