New Mazda MX5 RF

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
Mazda MX5 RF.

Now I have to say, I absolutely love the rear of this car, there's just something about it!

Similar weight to the Clio (bit lighter) so I imagine the handling would be similar, but imagine going for a drive in it with the roof down :hearteyes: (which is hard-top automatic folding by the way, watch the video it's brilliant)

I've always really liked the MX5s and I could probably see myself owning one some day to use in the summer :smile:

Pictures for the lazy:

dsc_4900.jpg

dsc_4916.jpg

Last edited:
Mazda MX5 RF.

Now I have to save, I absolutely love the rear of this car, there's just something about it!

Similar weight to the Clio (bit lighter) so I imagine the handling would be similar, but imagine going for a drive in it with the roof down :hearteyes: (which is hard-top automatic folding by the way, watch the video it's brilliant)

I've always really liked the MX5s and I could probably see myself owning one some day to use in the summer :smile:

Agreed Dale. Looks really good: Just lost its hair-dresser' image in my mind......

Wasn't expecting it to look half as good as that when i clicked the link :smile:

Agreed Dale. Looks really good: Just lost its 'hair-dresser' image in my mind......

Wasn't expecting it to look half as good as that when i clicked the link :smile:

Yeah it looks really good especially the red with black alloys, has that really mean look :smiley:

That should be a factory option IMO. Theyre always underpowered for some reason
Couldn't agree more. The purists will say it's got enough power and it's all about the experience. But 200 bhp for a MX5 is just the right amount without being too much for the road or spoiling the handling.

Reactions: Dystant
Looks good to me and as syer said - a bit less 'hairdresser(esk)'

Guy on here gilmos traded his 200t in for one!

I was actually planning of driving my old car a bit longer and saving some money for one of these. But then it hit me that I can have a car with 40 extra hp and rear seats for a third of the price these go for. They do look great however, much better then the last gen.

Apart from the comedy ride height, I really like this. The front 3/4 shot has something decidedly old school Ferrari about it. Really nice.

I can never seem to get excited about the MX5's, it's not a car that I ever look twice at on the road or even consider it as something that I'd own... maybe it's because I've seen so many on the British roads but clearly people are buying them for a reason (presumable the cheaper price tag!)

Saying that though, first time I saw a Toyota GT86 I thought "wow, that looks beasty!".... later inspection showed you're paying £25k for a car that's 0-62 in 8 seconds!!! A car that looks that good needs the performance to go with it!

Sorry guys, not a fan of the pics at all, need to see in the flesh, looks like a modern kit car version of an old 70's stingray ( which I do like)

I can never seem to get excited about the MX5's, it's not a car that I ever look twice at on the road or even consider it as something that I'd own... maybe it's because I've seen so many on the British roads but clearly people are buying them for a reason (presumable the cheaper price tag!)

Saying that though, first time I saw a Toyota GT86 I thought "wow, that looks beasty!".... later inspection showed you're paying £25k for a car that's 0-62 in 8 seconds!!! A car that looks that good needs the performance to go with it!
I've had a couple of mk1 MX5s and they're great fun. Like our cars its not about the speed. The purity of the drive and simplicity of the car to work on is hard to beat.

Reactions: Dystant and ///M
I've had a couple of mk1 MX5s and they're great fun. Like our cars its not about the speed. The purity of the drive and simplicity of the car to work on is hard to beat.

There's a lot to be said for when it comes to simplicity of working on a car definitely! The MX5's have rave reviews, I don't think I've heard one bad review (I remember Hammond driving one on The Grand Tour and was in love with it!) It's just a personal opinion of not loving convertibles, maybe this will come in later life!

Reactions: Gordini
For a long time I'd dismissed the MX5 as a bit of a girly car. Then a mate got one and took me out in it. One ride was enough. They're great cars and as @Gordini points out, they sit in a similar bracket to the Clio in that they're not all about speed and more about a very entertaining driving experience.

Thrills over speed every time.

Reactions: Gordini
For a long time I'd dismissed the MX5 as a bit of a girly car. Then a mate got one and took me out in it. One ride was enough. They're great cars and as @Gordini points out, they sit in a similar bracket to the Clio in that they're not all about speed and more about a very entertaining driving experience.

Thrills over speed every time.
Exactly.
And about the looks its very subjective - the front looks great ,the rear is kinda narrow and high in reality..

Reactions: ///M and Dystant
That loo
How about now?

2s0ydn9.jpg

Amazing what a difference just the ride height makes.
That looks bad ass now.
Still would run round it on track in my Clio which is currently worth about 10% of the MX5!

Reactions: ///M
I'm another that's never really 'got' the whole MX5 thing. I've never driven one, nor been driven in one though, so maybe I'd need that to make me think again from a driving perspective. As an ownership prospect....strictly two seats and not a great deal more performance than the Clio: not something I'd change for at all.

Similar Thread Suggestions