New Catalytic Converter Needed.

200cup

Paid Member
Hello,

I found myself in a bit of a pickle after my Clio failed it's biannual emissions test here in Slovakia. It's a 2012 RB7 with just over 62k kms. It started showing "check emissions" fault code every once in a while but always got cleared over bit of time or me deleting it.

Upon further inspection and disassembling at Renault we unfortunately found the cat was rattling and started falling apart on the inside.

My two questions:
1. Should I just suck it up and buy a brand new, OEM one for 600GBP or get a used one off eBay for the time being and save 450 quid? Not really looking to replace it for a sports cat.

2. Anything I should look for that could have caused the cat fail at such an early age? Car's been well maintained and is still running very well. Only issue I've ever had with the powertrain was that it twice started misfiring on me - immediate stop and engine restart cured it both times though.

Thanks for any tips!
- Martin

depends how long you intend to keep the car. Personally i'd go for either a used oem item or a sports cat at around £300.