New 200 Cup Owner

dazzab

Paid Member
Hello All,
Recently adopted a 2010 200 cup with a great history and loads of recent work.
Only drama is that previous owner fitted a Toyo manifold with a gravity exhaust, fine for a 18 year old, shite for an old codger, and more importantly would surely fail trackday noise testing.
Looking first at exhaust silencing options .....any advice?
If that's a no go then a quieter system.
Performance wise how much does a OEM exhaust differ from what I have now?
Cheers
Daz

20211223_131610.jpg

Reactions: Beany
Hi.

A lot of people replace the OEM manifold with a Toyo manifold as they are cheaper when it comes to replacing the OEM part, or to de cat the car.

If you still have a cat in your exhaust system then you might be able to fit a silencer box somewhere?

The Toyo manifold may have given you a few extra ponies but it won’t be much.

Hi.

A lot of people replace the OEM manifold with a Toyo manifold as they are cheaper when it comes to replacing the OEM part, or to de cat the car.

If you still have a cat in your exhaust system then you might be able to fit a silencer box somewhere?

The Toyo manifold may have given you a few extra ponies but it won’t be much.

Thanks

@dazzab

Its a good one from what I’ve seen, I went to view it and nearly purchased it but found one that was completely standard and low miles so went with that instead so I could make my mark on it. Christopher Noah from Beanie Sport did a lot of work on this car so might be worth dropping him a message.

@dazzab

Its a good one from what I’ve seen, I went to view it and nearly purchased it but found one that was completely standard and low miles so went with that instead so I could make my mark on it. Christopher Noah from Beanie Sport did a lot of work on this car so might be worth dropping him a message.

Great info, many thanks.

Congrats on the purchase. When I got mine it had the full ktec system on it which was far too loud and boomy. I kept the front sections and replaced the back box with a standard box. It's way quieter and just about perfect now. It was hard to source a standard box though took a while to find one you cant get new ones so far as I found even from Renault. The standard box has gotten rid of the pops and bangs which I miss but it's a small price to pay for my hearing and sounding less like a Barry boy! The car now easily passes all the track noise tests.

As Chris has said above, it is the back box that quietens the car down. You are in a bit of a fix because to make the most power you need free flow and standard exhausts are not the best at it. On very much a positive however, the actual external noise is nowhere near as bad as it sounds like it should be from the inside. At Brands in December I asked the sound check guy what the noise level was, and although I can't remember the figure, it was not high. His comment was "never loud these things."

When I went to Brands Hatch this year I was at the sound check spot reviving the car and the guy just shouted at me, “Stop, stop we will be here forever waiting.” My Clio had a standard manifold and an Akrapovic.

Congrats on the purchase. When I got mine it had the full ktec system on it which was far too loud and boomy. I kept the front sections and replaced the back box with a standard box. It's way quieter and just about perfect now. It was hard to source a standard box though took a while to find one you cant get new ones so far as I found even from Renault. The standard box has gotten rid of the pops and bangs which I miss but it's a small price to pay for my hearing and sounding less like a Barry boy! The car now easily passes all the track noise tests.

Might try and go that way.
Got a session booked with RS tuning in Leeds first for the dreaded flat spot around 2k...

As Chris has said above, it is the back box that quietens the car down. You are in a bit of a fix because to make the most power you need free flow and standard exhausts are not the best at it. On very much a positive however, the actual external noise is nowhere near as bad as it sounds like it should be from the inside. At Brands in December I asked the sound check guy what the noise level was, and although I can't remember the figure, it was not high. His comment was "never loud these things."

Interesting, I will buy a cheap dB meter and see what it shows.