New 197 cup owner

Hello there guys and gals!! Cracking site you have here with a good bunch of people to boot :thumbsup: I will also take out a membership in support of the site soon.

First time Renault owner here. And to be honest.....didn't see it coming at all!! But I am completely smitten!!

After finally getting myself into a position in which I could buy a fun ever day car, and after months of scrolling the classifieds i was 100% sure it was going to be a EP3 Civic Type R. It didn't quite work out that way did it :smile: I wanted a car that was fun for the daily commute, good for occasional track use whilst the Noble is off the road, and a car that would be fun for competing in Autosolo's.

So i went to view a 197 Cup on the off chance, and it got me hook line and sinker.....i loved the way it looked on the forecourt, and after reading reviews online, i knew these Clio sports are a great drive too....Although this one wasn't! As you can see in the photos the car had been slammed. It was on H&R lowering springs, which ordinarily is fine i am sure. But after taking the car for a proper back road blast it was obvious that this setup was not good, or something was very wrong. So i took the car to my tuner that i have used for the last 7 years to give the car a once over. When up on the ramps, we noticed that the H&R lowering springs had had further Coils cut away to get the car sitting extra low....ah so that would be why it handles terrible then. Also it had 20mm spacers on the back, but nothing on the front to compensate. The good news is this car clearly wasn't previously owned by Lewis Hamilton, or some other racing god. I will credit the last owner in that it did look cool though.

Anyways, she is now back on the stock cup setup and i am looking forward to stretching her legs on a few trackdays :bounce:

Couple of piccies of my babies.

Attachments

• SAM_4761 (2).jpg
    SAM_4761 (2).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
  • SAM_4772.jpg
    SAM_4772.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 46
  • SAM_4737.jpg
    SAM_4737.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 2013-02-02 19.01.48 (1).jpg
    2013-02-02 19.01.48 (1).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 4077385196_37a07e7bea_z.jpg
    4077385196_37a07e7bea_z.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
I was going to say - jeez that's low, lol at cut springs. Does sit nicely though.

Welcome to the site :smile:

Christ ....cut springs.

I'd like to hunt the previous owner down and cut his spring.... :wink:

Nice Noble, be careful though as you might enjoy the 197 more than you wanted to :smiley:

ah god. really liking the look of the 197. have i made a mistake with my 200?

nice cars bud and welcome.

steven

Welcome along! :smile:

Cut springs, lol. A lot of the country boys here do that with their standard springs. Recipe for disaster!

Thanks for the warm welcome and nice words gents :thumbup:

Totally made with the Clio, and am always excited to get in it......Even the early morning get up, 45 minute jaunt to work is exciting now!!

Only problem is, I bought it with the intention of not modifying it. Basically a turn key and play solution whilst I save for a rebuild for the Nobber. Only problem is I have already found myself scrolling through sites such as Ktec, and watching various clips on youtube of the various exhaust options......this was not the plan!!! Silly fun car egging me on!! haha

Christ ....cut springs.

I'd like to hunt the previous owner down and cut his spring.... :wink:

Nice Noble, be careful though as you might enjoy the 197 more than you wanted to :smiley:

Mr Twig, this is very true. I am already enjoying the 197 more than I thought I would. They have character that's for sure.....infact, I have even noticed lots of admiring looks for the car which I wasn't expecting. The Noble is more of a weekend/track toy now, so I am positive the Clio will put a huge grin on my face 90% of the time....the other 10% I will save for the Orange pain in my ass!! haha. Had the Noble for over 7 years now, so I am hoping the love affair with the Clio will be just as good, and just as long :smile:

ah god. really liking the look of the 197. have i made a mistake with my 200?

nice cars bud and welcome.

steven

No mate, you haven't made a mistake at all. The 200's are every bit as good looking IMO.....well just :tongueout: However, the latest RS 200 Turbo isn't doing it for me in the looks department at the mo. Hopefully it will look better in the flesh.

Enjoy that 200 of yours :thumbup:

Welcome along! :smile:

Cut springs, lol. A lot of the country boys here do that with their standard springs. Recipe for disaster!

Thanks Eddie. I know, not entirely sure why anyone would buy a car that is built/designed to be so good in the handling department, to then ruin it by cutting the springs. The springs weren't even seating properly in the shocks!! Also the bump stops had been taken off! As you say, a recipe for disaster! The suspension could have easily collapsed whilst pressing on....scary really!