Need to replace front discs, Mtec, Brembo HC, others?

Firmo

Paid Member
Need to replace the front discs on my 197. I am considering Brembo HC, but from what I have been reading a lot of people here are using the Mtec disks. How do they compare to the brembo HC? I use my cars mainly on mountain roads (occasionally on track days, 1 or 2 a year) and I will put the new disks with DS2500 pads.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

330 kits make next to no difference brembo hc all the way tried and tested.

Your not braking hard enough or late enough then :wink:

In all seriousness this a case of simple physics at work here, the larger diameter of the rotor, the more force that is available to stop the wheel, just like using a longer wrench makes it easier to break a tight bolt loose. If you keep the same calliper and same pads and install a larger diameter rotor, you get greater stopping power. This power can be referenced in Newton-meters of torque.

The same arguments can be applied to just about every mod on the the Clio, an exhaust, air filter, cams etc. They all make next to no difference at all but sometimes that little difference can transform the car.

Last edited:
And not to mention the aluminium bells, lighter, less unsprung weight (even with bigger rotors) PLUS much greater heat dissipation.

If you haven't ever run out of brakes maybe the upgrade is not worth it, if you have then that's the kit for you:wink:

This kit looks superb but it is far beyond my budget :worried:

And not to mention the aluminium bells, lighter, less unsprung weight (even with bigger rotors) PLUS much greater heat dissipation.

If you haven't ever run out of brakes maybe the upgrade is not worth it, if you have then that's the kit for you:wink:

In fact, I have never felt brake fade on the road or track with standard discs, Ferodo DS2500 and braided lines. I am really happy with this setup, however after the last trackday I started to feel a lot of vibration under at high speed braking. At first I though it was due to some pad deposits on the disks, but on the garage they confirmed that the vibration was caused by warped disks. So, I am looking for new disks, with a similar stopping power to my previous setup, but with more heat resistance.

In fact, I have never felt brake fade on the road or track with standard discs, Ferodo DS2500 and braided lines. I am really happy with this setup, however after the last trackday I started to feel a lot of vibration under at high speed braking. At first I though it was due to some pad deposits on the disks, but on the garage they confirmed that the vibration was caused by warped disks. So, I am looking for new disks, with a similar stopping power to my previous setup, but with more heat resistance.

I seriously doubt you have warped them, its takes a massive amount of heat to warp a disc these days. Garages will often tell you they are warped just to get you to change them. Pad deposits on the disc are 99% of the time the culprit.

This is quite a good read imo. I stumbled across it a while ago when I was trying to solve vibration from the brakes:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

I seriously doubt you have warped them, its takes a massive amount of heat to warp a disc these days. Garages will often tell you they are warped just to get you to change them. Pad deposits on the disc are 99% of the time the culprit.

This is quite a good read imo. I stumbled across it a while ago when I was trying to solve vibration from the brakes:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Great reading here, thanks a lot for the link. The vibration is really bad above 100 kph, so from what I understood in this case the solution should be dismount the discs and have them blanchard ground? It sounds expensive, is it really worth doing this? Or should I get new discs instead?
@Jamz72, how did you solve the vibration from the brakes in your car?

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry if some sentences sound odd, I am not an English native speaker.

Unfortunately I never solved the vibration problem :worried:

The easiest method of trying I came across was to do a series of about 10 heavy braking events from about 60mph down to 10mph, straight after each other, starting with the brakes cold. I tried this but it didn't work for me!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0BakDMksc

I would be tempted to recommend you get new discs but you would also have to get new pads too really.

PS your English is better than a lot of Britsh people's!

Unfortunately I never solved the vibration problem :worried:

The easiest method of trying I came across was to do a series of about 10 heavy braking events from about 60mph down to 10mph, straight after each other, starting with the brakes cold. I tried this but it didn't work for me!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0BakDMksc

I would be tempted to recommend you get new discs but you would also have to get new pads too really.

PS your English is better than a lot of Britsh people's!

As it happened to you, a series of some heavy braking didn't work for me. It was the 1st first thing I did when I noticed the vibration. It seems I will definitely need new discs and pads... (my DS2500 pads had less than 2500 miles :worried:)

Thanks again mate for your help.